Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / OXO Good Grips; Excellent Warranty Service
ICC
# Posted: 1 Oct 2024 18:57

We have a few OXO Good Grips kitchen utensils, which I like a lot. Two of the most used are flexible silicone covered turners, or flippers. If I am using a non-stick pan I am using one or both of them. The larger one developed a defect; the silicone tore at the nose end. (photo attached) We've had it a while and it has been used a lot. It was a disappointment though. I was contemplating if I should get another or look for a different brand. Then I noticed that these OXO turners are still rated very highly on the Wirecutter review site. They mentioned the warranty was for complete customer satisfaction, with no time limit mentioned. So, I went to the OXO website and found the warranty claims page. I filled in the blank spaces, described the issue, and attached the picture. They wanted to know where it was purchased but not when. No sales receipt required, though I had that covered; it was bought on Amazon and they have all purchase receipts available for all time. That was Sunday PM. Today I received emails from OXO. One to acknowledge the claim. Another to indicate the order number and it is being processed at no cost. I almost feel bad that it was purchased in 2015.
oxo
oxo

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 08:17

Good to know. I have a can opener by them that's worn out. Its prob 20yrs old.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 13:12

I see now they have the side cut can openers, they any good?

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 14:23 - Edited by: Nobadays

I'm dealing with warranty issue with LiTime right now. The group 24 100ah battery I put in my van has swollen. Sounds hollow under the bulges and the battery "seems" to be operating normally. I say that because, first I noticed it had dropped to 27% SOC @13.2v three days ago and every other time I'd checked it always showed 99% SOC @13.2v. So naturally I plugged in the van and began charging the battery. (I think I had left the inverter on the last camping trip three weeks before so figured this drew the battery down. )

The battery got up to 53% in a couple of hours and I thought I'd do a visual inspection, this is when I found the battery swollen. I immediately unplugged the van and contacted LiTime. They got back the next morning with a list of information they wanted... charging methods, list of what was being powered, etc. I got that to them.

The next morning I get an email back saying it looks like a heat issue because of the enclosed battery box. They asked if it is vented.

Well the battery box is well vented! It is completely open in the back with plenty of space for airflow around the battery... I took a picture for them. AND... when I checked the battery via the Bluetooth and app yesterday morning, it showed 99% SOC @ 13.2v. Mind you, I had terminated all charging the day before at 53% SOC when I found the battery swollen. Bluetooth also showed, BMS-normal, Cells- normal and balanced.

I gave this information to my LiTime contact and the picture of the opening in the back of the battery box. I got a one sentence reply, "I have turned this case over to our tech department."

I'll keep you informed of the outcome... I just want a new battery!
IMG_1612_1.jpg
IMG_1612_1.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 14:47 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
I see now they have the side cut can openers, they any good?

I like the side cut openers a lot. (also called safety cut, smooth cut....) I have a very old Zwilling that I got in Germany decades ago. It still works fine. It's at the cabin. At home I have a newer Zwilling that seems about the same but looks newer.

Side cut have been available in EU since the 80's at least. I like the way nothing ever touches the food inside the can. No clean up or no mess if you don't clean up. My parents had a under the cabinet mount swing away can opener when I was a kid. I thought the food caked cutter blade was gross. It was semi-hidden and not easy to wash off.

The smooth can top edge is great if you use emptied cans for keeping stuff in the shop or barn.

There is only 1 slight downside I can think of. I used to use an opener that cut through the top like most. If you cut the lid off a can of tuna or salmon you could then squeeze the lid into the can opening to squeeze the liquid from the contents. With a side cut you can't do that very well. The lid is a little larger than the opening.

I've not used the OXO so can't say anything. However, OXO does seem to make good stuff and seem to put some thought into their products.

@Nobadays.... I sure hope LiTime comes through and helps you out in a very meaningful way.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 15:18

Quoting: ICC
@Nobadays.... I sure hope LiTime comes through and helps you out in a very meaningful way.

Just got an email stating they want me to return the battery and will pay shipping. No mention of a replacement. Is this normal? I'm a little apprehensive returning the battery without a replacement.

paulz
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 15:32

Since you plugged in the battery for charging, i take it it’s not connected to the van alternator?

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 15:44

Quoting: paulz
Since you plugged in the battery for charging, i take it it’s not connected to the van alternator?

It is through a Victron 30amp, dc/dc charge controller. But, I didn't run the van either to charge the battery... it was off other than less than a minute so I could check the Victron app to see what it had for battery voltage... you can't connect to it's Bluetooth without alternator output. But honestly, less than a minute because I didn't want to charge the battery anymore.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 17:24

Quoting: Nobadays
No mention of a replacement. Is this normal? I'm a little apprehensive returning the battery without a replacement

I'd be concerned as well. OTOH, I'd also be concerned about the continued usability of the battery at this point. If they said "no" to replacement what would you do? Continue to use, and monitor? Pull the plug and buy somebody else's battery (while cursing)? At least they will pay shipping. That could be a good sign?

paulz
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 18:39

Quoting: Nobadays
it was off other than less than a minute so I could check the Victron app to see what it had for battery voltage

Ok, I’m sure they already asked you that. I’ve never ran an auto charging an Lfp, or in combination with an fla, maybe RVers do it all the time.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 19:49

Quoting: ICC
I'd be concerned as well.

I'm going to question them about what assurances I have before sending it. The battery seems to be performing normally even though it has swollen. As I said the swollen areas seem hollow so I don't believe the cells themselves have swollen. It does appear to be either off-gassing which I don't think lifepo4 should do, or it put off a lot of heat for some reason. Heat seems more likely but my charging profiles in both the Progressive Dynamics converter/charger and the Victron dc/dc are set at the manufacturer's designated settings.

The junky Bluetooth/BMS makes me think something is not right. Jumping from 53% SOC to 99% seemingly overnight WITHOUT being charged just ain't right! I hope I have good luck like you did with OXO.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Oct 2024 19:59 - Edited by: Nobadays

Quoting: paulz
I’ve never ran an auto charging an Lfp, or in combination with an fla, maybe RVers do it all the time.

The alternator is wired to a dual battery device that allows the engin starting fla to get what it needs and also sends power back to charge the house batteries. When they were fla, no worries as they would charge at about the same rate as the Chassis Battery. With lifepo4 as house batteries that changes, thus you need a dc/dc charge controller to manage the charge rate of the lifepo4. Lifepo4 has little resistance to charging unlike fla which you kind of have to force a charge into. Lifepo4 will "steal" EVERYTHING your alternator will put out until charged and in the process, if the lifepo4 will burn up your alternator. The dc/dc charge controller limits how much can be taken to charge the lifepo4 thus saving your alternator.

Sorry Izzy... didn't mean to steal your thread! Just added my warranty issue to yours!

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Oct 2024 14:19

Well they are telling me not to worry... when they get the battery they will issue a full refund. They still claim it is a heat issue in the battery compartment. I vigorously disagree! They pointed out brown areas within the compartment... 25 years of fla batteries in that compartment, not heat related browning but surface rust and staining from sulfuric acid!

They did not address the 46% jump in SOC overnight... without any charging!

My online research shows people putting lifepo4 batteries under rv beds, in wooden closed boxes in the back of vans and other less ventilated spaces than my battery compartment which is completely open at the rear, 10.5" x 12.75" opening and more than an inch of space side to side and over the top. I have also read that although lifepo4 do generate a little heat when charging/discharging they do not generate enough heat to cause concern - if the BMS is operating correctly!

I will return the battery but I am not happy with LiTime!

The end....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.