Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / New Grill
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
darz5150
# Posted: 29 Sep 2024 00:09

Had some leftover grilled chicken breasts. So I whipped up some chicken fajitas. They came out sooper good.
Screenshot_20240928.png
Screenshot_20240928.png
Screenshot_20240928.png
Screenshot_20240928.png

ICC
# Posted: 29 Sep 2024 02:14

paulz
# Posted: 29 Sep 2024 02:22

Yum. Did similar last night. Down to the end of our fresh meat, chicken, so wrapped in corn tortillas.

Grilled cheese sandwiches tonight.

Got some canned tuna around here someplace. Otherwise it’s off to civilization.

ICC
# Posted: 29 Sep 2024 04:17

Quoting: paulz
Grilled cheese sandwiches tonight

Strangely enough, we had the same, or similar, last night.... real SF style sourdough bread from the in town bakery, 24 month aged gouda cheese slices, a scrambled duck egg and 2 thin slices of serrano ham.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Oct 2024 22:57 - Edited by: paulz

On our way back to the cabin Monday I stopped at a drive through for dinner, burger with sides. I know how bad they must be for you, but I love onion rings. After dreaming about it last night, today I sliced an onion up, soaked it in leftover pancake batter, oil and popped it on the grill. Surprisingly, a dash of salt and yum! Even the wife liked it!

Photo of one of the test mules. Doesn’t look like much but now that I know how great they taste I’ll work on the presentation.
IMG_3629.jpeg
IMG_3629.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 00:23

Gonna have to try that one Paul. It was ironic, I was reading your post, while making this for dinner tonite. Lol
Loaded pork burger and onion rings
Loaded pork burger and onion rings

paulz
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 15:11

Those look much better than mine! I couldn’t figure out how to make the batter stick to the onion, so I just put the ring in the pan and filled with batter, as you can see in my photo.

Tasted great though. Onion pancakes, my new invention!

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 16:54 - Edited by: darz5150

I wonder how it would work if you poured a little batter down, then pushed the onion in the middle? Maybe sprinkle some bacon or sausage
crumbles in there too.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 19:13

We have a small diameter (like a bun size) egg pan, bet a good sized onion slice dropped into a little p-cake mix would work out well for size.
I might be tempted to nuke the onion slice a bit since it wouldn't be like deep frying.
Like that crumbles idea

paulz
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 19:45

I’m in for a share of the royalties! We’ll call them Cabin Rings, available at the Small Cabin Drive Through.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 20:45

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 21:07 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: gcrank1
We have a small diameter (like a bun size) egg pan,

We got a couple cast iron pans like that. They do work great for eggs or pancakes. (You can do pan brownies or use cake mix or pre fab cookie dough too)
Screenshot_20241004.png
Screenshot_20241004.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Oct 2024 23:51

Way bigger Darz, ours is hardly bigger around than a good English muffin.

darz5150
# Posted: 5 Oct 2024 03:35

This is the smallest one I got. 3 1/2 inch.
Screenshot_20241004.png
Screenshot_20241004.png
Screenshot_20241004.png
Screenshot_20241004.png

darz5150
# Posted: 8 Oct 2024 16:11

Did Cajun shrimp soft tacos last nite with side of salad.
Ran across a picture of popcorn shrimp. Won't be trying that one tho.
Cajun shrimp taco
Cajun shrimp taco
Popcorn shrimp. Lol
Popcorn shrimp. Lol

darz5150
# Posted: 10 Oct 2024 20:29

Here's one Paul might like.
It's bacon and cheddar brat and onion rings instead of a bun.
Works with any tube steak that will fit. Lol
The Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Oct 2024 22:12

I can almost feel my arteries clinch....but my mouth sooo wants that!

paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 00:37

You bet! I don’t know how you’re getting those rings to come out so well. I tried my pancake batter rings again tonight, added some pork bits in the center. Nothing to look at again but tasted great!

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 01:09

How about this....
Dice up the onion, and maybe some peppers of choice, cook a bit, throw in some real bacon bits, and pour over the pancake batter. Cook as any pancake and serve.

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 02:29

I don’t know how you’re getting those rings to come out so well.

Most of the time, I just use the upper rack on the grill. I just lay out aluminum foil, spray it with cooking spray, and use it just like an oven. You can do fries, double stuffed potatoes, roasted potatoes, even cheese sticks etc. You just have to control the heat and watch out for "Hot Spots"
We do meat loaf like that. I put it in a 1 pound disposable aluminum pan. Then put that in another bigger pan, with about 1/2 inch of water to keep the bottom from over cooking. (Getting Burnt) Lol
We did some stuffed Porta Bella mushrooms earlier, on a small cast iron skillet, for a side dish.
Shrooms
Shrooms

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 02:56 - Edited by: darz5150

Paul. I know you like onions like I do.
Here's something you can try that's super easy. It's a red neck blooming onion. Take an onion, cut out some of the core like an apple, but not all the way through. Stuff a beef bouillon cube in the hole, then add butter to the top. Wrap it in aluminum foil like a Hershey kiss, and put in on a hot spot on the grill. Let it cook while your grilling your other stuff, till it's soft when you squeeze it. It's great on a baked potato, steak or grilled cheesy bread. You can cross slice it to make smaller pieces also.
I make another version of this. Onion Jam. It's really just a hopped up version of caramelized onions. I slice up 3 or 4 pounds of onions, then slowly cook them with powdered beef bouillon, butter and beer when needed. It will reduce down eventually to less than a pint. It takes a while. But it comes out great. I will post a pic of a small batch.
Onion jam
Onion jam
Screenshot_20240910.png
Screenshot_20240910.png

paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 13:37

Quoting: darz5150
It's great on a baked potato, steak or grilled cheesy bread. You can cross slice it to make smaller pieces also.

Yum, I’ll try that potato onion bake soon. Wife will love that. Got to give her credit, she suffers through my terrible cooking without a complaint. I’m just so dog gone tired now by dinner cooking time.

Did build a pretty good cabin though..

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 22:37

Well... Ran across another gastro intenstinal
Marvel. Yeppers. S'mores flavored ramen noodles.
The wife tried some and said it's not too bad. But she should have taken out the marshmallows then added them back in afterwards.
Screenshot_20241009.png
Screenshot_20241009.png

ICC
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 01:15 - Edited by: ICC

31% of recommended maximum daily saturated fat
35% of recommended maximum daily sodium
All in one small serving

My heart and I will skip that.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 01:52

Yessir. It's amazing what can be approved for human consumption.
Probably a good thing the only other thing the wife ate that day was oatmeal and salad. Lol

paulz
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 13:13 - Edited by: paulz

Probably a good thing the only other thing the wife ate that day was oatmeal and salad. Lol

That’s my wife’s everyday fare. She is actually prescribed sodium, 2 grams a day! Fats I don’t know, she always had an athlete's body, even though she can’t walk. I got her one of those under desk stair steppers, she loves it, does it every day. That wheelbarrow is my exerciser.

Unhealthy food is my department. Last night I made a pizza using store bought dough. Added cheese, pork, tomatoes, peppers. Cooked it on the wood stove. She did eat a slice, I ate 3/4s.
IMG_3422.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg
IMG_3678.jpeg
IMG_3678.jpeg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 13:46

S'mores flavored ramen noodles.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 14:16

Lolol.
Here's another.
I've actually ate this one and it wasn't bad at all. Rap Snacks Prime Rib.
Screenshot_20241012.png
Screenshot_20241012.png

ICC
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 17:51

She is actually prescribed sodium, 2 grams a day!

People do process things differently.

When I worked hard and perspired a lot I would take about 500 mg of sodium an hour. You can achieve that with most sports drinks, but I prefer plain water to flavored drinks so I had a bottle of sodium pills. But I don't work hard enough to need to do that in recent years.

Sodium and potassium, both essential to health, are linked. It is normal that when one falls the other rises. So eating lots of potassium rich foods can help lower sodium. I used to eat 2 bananas (lots of potassium) a day when not sweating a lot to help keep my sodium low. But too little or too much of either can have bad effects. I've had more blood tests since turning 65 than in the first 64 years I think.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Oct 2024 00:08

quote=darz5150]actually ate this one and it wasn't bad at all.[/quote]

I have no doubt it was quite tasty. The manufacturers of these snacks have food scientists who strive to make them taste great. BTW, many manufactured foods that taste great do have high sodium levels; 1060 mg in this item. 44% of daily rec mac. That's with only 280 calories so the rest of the days food should be chosen with that in mind.

Another thing the manufacturers and their food scientists are great at is making you desire more and more. Some of the additives are included specifically to make you want more. They can literally make you drool. The
DISODIUM INOSINATE & DISODIUM GUANYLATE used in this snack are such compounds. They enhance flavors. DISODIUM INOSINATE is an odorless white powder. If you sniff DISODIUM INOSINATE directly the sides of your tongue starts to tingle and your mouth starts watering. No food in sight.

(I have a daughter who is a biochemistry researcher. We have had some interesting conversations.) Some additives may simply trick our senses, as in making us want more, and otherwise be more or less harmless, as far as is known. However some additives can bring bad effects to some people.

I do not like being manipulated in any manner. So I make conscious efforts to avoid manipulation when I can (That is a whole other topic if we want to have a look at many ways people are manipulated.)

These foods fall into a category known as ultra-processed foods. That won’t be printed on the label. Ultra-processed foods are often marketed as "healthy," "natural," or "organic," but these terms refer to the ingredients, not the manufacturing process. UPFs are characterized by a long list of ingredients, including artificial flavors and colors, preservatives, thickeners, stabilizers, emulsifiers, gums, and artificial sweeteners.

I do like and eat some snack foods. So does my daughter. However we are selective. I try very hard to read the labels and not to purchase items with ingredient lists of things with chemical-like names; such as the two above named items. I have always liked potato chips. I buy a brand that is only potatoes, avocado oil and salt. When label reading and in a hurry I simply discard anything with an ingredients list as long as Pringles. Note: most flavored chips have the two items listed above.

I also avoid prepared meals whenever I can as most are fall into the ultra-processed food category. There are a few organic brands that try to keep the chemical changes to a minimum and I do have some in the freezer for lazy days. I also try to make meals with the intent of freezing leftovers for a future lazy day.

Hey, it’s anyone’s own choice. Healthwise, it may be wiser to look at the ingredients rather than to go by the taste or the ad hype. But ot os srill a purely personal matter..

Another maxim I use in food selection is to ask myself ify grandparents would recognize it. If they would then it might be a good thing to eat.

Long winded I know.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.