Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / New Grill
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
darz5150
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 02:13

Scored a pretty good deal on a new grill at Wally World.
5 burner + side burner. $148 bucks
Screenshot_20240822.png
Screenshot_20240822.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 03:05

That's a lot of grill for $148

paulz
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 11:27

I’ll say. Sweet!

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 12:08

Been through alot of cheap grills and poorly cooked food before I bought a Weber. I have had it for about 10yrs and still have the original burners and they cook evenly. I would rather buy a used weber over the cheap grills.

FishHog
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 12:54 - Edited by: FishHog

Quoting: Brettny
Been through alot of cheap grills and poorly cooked food before I bought a Weber. I have had it for about 10yrs and still have the original burners and they cook evenly. I would rather buy a used weber over the cheap grills.

Same here. Spent $1000 on a Weber 21 years ago. Just replaced the burners this summer as I was having a few hot spots. Everything else works as new.

Need to replace the cheap one I have at camp and looking for a used weber

But that still seems like a great deal for $148

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 13:52

Burner? My coals don hav no burner.....

ICC
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 14:00

Weber are darn good! Last a long time and cook well.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 00:52

Cast iron grill grate and charcoal. Anyone have one of those green egg shaped grills?

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 02:03

The 'egg', iirc really a Kamado grill.
I bought a 'less expensive' one maybe 5yrs ago (Amazon) and WOW, what a smoker. Very efficient on charcoal, nice long burns because the sealing and air control is so 'tight'. It holds a lot of meat! If ya can't eat it all ya gotta save it....somewhere.
That said, I haven't used it in maybe 1.5 years? Other things got in the way and when I did have time for some smoking it was small batches, too small to fire up the Big Boy. I there somewhere I inherited a 'bullet' electric (Brinkman? long out of business) just right for small batches, so it has been my go to. Also have my old original charcoal bullet, good for small batches, poor air control though I have got some long burns with the 'snake' method for the charcoal. It hasnt been used since the elec bullet.
You can smoke decently on a big Weber using the indirect method, no need to buy and egg unless you
just gotta try one out.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 03:29 - Edited by: darz5150

It cooks fine.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 14:03 - Edited by: paulz

Helps to know what you’re doing I’m sure Darz. Me, I’m a complete doofus, cooking on a Kirkland my pal left here when he moved to Wisconsin. My wife doesn’t cook with only one hand, but she has learned to keep her yapping beak shut and just eat, better than going hungry.

One mod I have made; I often buy a premade frozen pizza on our way out here so I can skip the usual gourmet meal first night. After burning several crusts, I hooked up a second grill 2” up from the regular one, and place the pizza on tin foil, lid shut. Last couple have come out perfect. Well at least edible.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 14:14

Yah. We do pizza at least once a week.
We finally got a pizza stone. But originally did it on a big patio paver cover with foil. Also use one of those pellet smoker cages. The added smoke flavor can transform even a cheap pizza into something good.
Smoker box
Smoker box
Screenshot_20240824.png
Screenshot_20240824.png

paulz
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 11:26 - Edited by: paulz

Yum looks good. We returned to the cabin late yesterday with the usual first night pizza. Took your lead and instead of my raised grill I tried pavers. Took forever to heat up but the pizza was perfect. I’ll have to look into those stones. And the smokers.
IMG_3289.jpeg
IMG_3289.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 13:20

Just add some flavorful wood chunks (I don't soak them) to whatever style your grill is, use the lid and vent a bit; it will smoke fine.
Never use softwood, resinous or pressure treated woods.....fruitwoods, nut woods (walnut puts most folks off), even oak (actually the most used), well cured. I used trimmings from our mixed trees.
I like pieces about 6-8" long that I can split down to the size I want, usually kinda like thick kindling.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 23:05

Quoting: paulz
One mod I have made; I often buy a premade frozen pizza on our way out here so I can skip the usual gourmet meal first night. After burning several crusts, I hooked up a second grill 2” up from the regular one, and place the pizza on tin foil, lid shut. Last couple have come out perfect. Well at least edible

That's useing your grill like a oven. We have done that many times. Even cooked casseroles on the grill durring summer zukini season. Have you tried a pizza in a cast iron skillet? It's like a deep dish..absolutely wonderful and I eat alot of pizza. We do alot of cast iron cooking on the grill.

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 00:18 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: Brettny
That's useing your grill like a oven. We have done that many times.

We cook meat loaf, flat bread, sour dough bread, hash brown casseroles, roasted taters etc.
We have been getting the turkey breasts and been cooking them in a medium size graniteware roasting pan. Inject it with Cajun seasoning. Comes out tender and juicy.
I will have to try the pizza in cast iron. I assume you make it from scratch?
Paul. If you like chili and corn bread, you can put the chili in the bottom of a cast skillet. Then mix up a batch of corn bread, and pour it over the top. We also do that with homemade stew, then put biscuits on the top.
Tonite we cooked up a couple $2 pizzas, added banana peppers on one, extra pepperoni on the other. Provolone cheese on both.
Cheap smokey pizza
Cheap smokey pizza

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 00:29

Took forever to heat up but the pizza was perfect.

Yep. That was the biggest downfall with the pavers. Took longer to heat the paver, than cook the pizza. Lol
I looked on Amazon. You can get a cheap stone for under $20. I still cover the stone with foil and spray with pam for less stickage.
We also did some Cajun shrimp tacos. You can heat soft tortillas up on the stone/paver. You can do the shrimp or fish also. Fajitas, etc. yadda yadda.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 12:33

I did get a new Blackstone grille for the cabin, small 17" version with the hood. Nice unit.
17" Blackstone grille
17" Blackstone grille

paulz
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 15:48

Yep nice. I need to try the ci skillet trick, so far I only have the little egg fry one I got a couple months ago. But, I was down at my never ending paver pile and saw a stack of these, only about an inch thick. I will trim this one for next pizza.
IMG_3302.jpeg
IMG_3302.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 15:57

The Blackstones are good ones.
One of my daughters have one and love it
They do all kinds of stir fry and vegetables.
Let us know how the paver works out Paul.
Another good thing about the pavers or stones is they hold the heat for quite a while to keep things warm after you turn off the heat.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 22:46

Quoting: darz5150
I will have to try the pizza in cast iron. I assume you make it from scratch?

Yes we do it from scratch. Wife works at a pizzeria and brings home a "kit"..is that cheating?

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 22:52

Lol. Not if food is involved.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 22:55

Take a look at AGRISupply for the plain flat coulter blades, should make a decent one.

Nobadays
# Posted: 30 Aug 2024 12:42

got a pizza stone. But originally did it on a big patio paver cover with foil. Also use one of those pellet smoker cages.

I got one of the stones that fits in our pellet grill/smoker, a GMG Davy Crockett , it does well with pizzas and we have cooked Indian Nan bread on it as well. Being wood pellet fired we get that touch of smoke. When setting a pellet grill at 500° you don't get a huge amount of smoke.

We mainly use the Davy Crockett as a smoker for brisket, ribs and pork butt. Great for that... less babysitting than "chunk wood" style smokers.

darz5150
# Posted: 30 Aug 2024 22:47

Here's help if you don't like using meat thermometers.
Screenshot_20240830.png
Screenshot_20240830.png

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 12:30 - Edited by: paulz

Let us know how the paver works out Paul.

First pizza on the new paver, trimmed to fit with cover down. Came out great, just have to learn to give it the extra cook time to heat the paver. I had in mind to add extra cheese, tomato, meat, onion but every time I’ve tried that it just hurts it, according to the wife. They are just Red Baron combos.
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 14:21

Where the pizza meets the road

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 14:49 - Edited by: darz5150

At Wally world they've got a self rising crust buffalo chicken pizza that's pretty good.
every time I’ve tried that it just hurts it, according to the wife.

My wife likes a lot of veggies. Me. Sometimes I'll get an all meat pizza...... And add meat. Lol.
Sometimes getting 2 of the smaller pizzas works for us. She adds what she likes, and so on.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 23:47 - Edited by: paulz

My wife’s a veggie freak too, takes up valuable room on the grill. Fish tonight.
IMG_3367.jpeg
IMG_3367.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 02:00 - Edited by: ICC

Veggie lover here. Yams, sweet potatoes are great. I can't recall the last time I had meat on a pizza. Love fish, especially Alaska Salmon, but not on pizza.

Pizza = onion, artichoke, peppers, chile, tomato slices... Not all together at once though.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.