Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Ice Cream Trade
ICC
# Posted: 9 Aug 2024 19:08 - Edited by: ICC

So the highway department is repairing some guardrail sections along the road near me. Mainly they are replacing a section that has been damaged a few times in recent years by knuckleheads who aren't paying attention to the twisty bits of road. Someone with the state DOT decided to pull the old wood posts and replace with steel posts and new Armco barrier.

A cousin is the crew foreman.

I traded $10 worth of Drumstick ice cream treats for a dozen 8x8 x 64" long PT pine timbers. Old but undamaged with a single hole drilled through what was the top end and quite usable as timbers for a little retaining wall project.
8x8 timbers
8x8 timbers

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Aug 2024 20:37

Good Trade

Curly
# Posted: 10 Aug 2024 01:22

I need some cousins like that!

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Aug 2024 02:44

I call that a SCORE ! Good One.

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Aug 2024 13:46

paulz
# Posted: 10 Aug 2024 15:25

FishHog
# Posted: 11 Aug 2024 12:10

Now that’s a good score

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 17:16 - Edited by: ICC

So I used the timbers at the cabin. When the wildfire swept through a few years ago a similar bunch of guardrail posts were burnt up by the creeping ground fire. I used these to rebuild that. It's in a drainage near the cabin. 6 timbers long, 2 high. I drilled holes through them and pinned them with 5 foot lengths of rebar.

Sri had planted an Arizona Ash seedling right by the old timbers. It seemed like a decent spot to try as water runs to that area. It survived the fire though one part died. I boxed in the Ash; made a 'well' around it as i had some topsoil I scraped from home. There used to be more grasses in that area, pre-fire. I added the soil and am going to seed some native grasses I got (free) from NRCS. We will see what happens.

I've named the tree the Sri Vang Memorial Arizona Ash.

Dropping the 2100 lbs into the trailer with the loader was a lot easier than shoveling it out.
Arizona Ash
Arizona Ash
To be seeded
To be seeded

paulz
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 21:04

Sweet. Coincidentally just this morning a friend offered me these railroad ties. “Sure I’ll take em.” Don’t have anything planned but I figure they’ll always make good parking stops. Maybe for my drive-in.
IMG_3284.jpeg
IMG_3284.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 22:53

RR ties are good for assorted barrier building. Damn things have gotten heavier in recent years, though.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.