Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x24 in Lucedale, Mississippi
Lucky7matt
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 09:29

Well I didn't build this one I bought instead. Something for me and my kids to go hang out in and enjoy the quiet on the weekends. I started insulating it. Got a little more to do. We are enjoying it so far!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 13:38

Looks like a fast way to get a useable building. Unfortunately that roof wasn't designed to be insulated, so if you stuff it full and then put wall covering on it (Sheetrock, T+G) you risk condensation and mold in there. Do you plan to put in ceiling joists and ventilate the attic, or insulate the roof as is?

old old buddy
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 19:50

Looks like you have a lot of good times to look forward to with your cabin. The kids probably can't wait to spend their first night (if they haven't already!)

I can't give you any info on the insulation. We put 3 and 1/2 inches in our ceiling but we stapled it to 2X6 rafters so it had about a 2 inch air gap as it is right now. We have a metal roof and haven't finished the ceiling but havce had no condensation issues yet. I guess if we would have stuffed six inch insulation in....we would have....maybe. Since you have 2X4 ceiling joists, you could use about 2 inches of styrofoam and that would give you the air gap you probably need. As I say....I'm not an authority on much and certainly not insulation but I just wouldn't want you to get upset ....thinking you didn't have any options.

It took us nine months to get where you're at right now but I have to say that I enjoyed working on it everyday. I hope to see more pictures and updates soon.

You won't need a wood burner will you (in Mississippi)? Are you going to have electric and water or rough it like most of us!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 21:26

Quoting: old old buddy
You won't need a wood burner will you (in Mississippi)?

old old buddy....you know it gets cold in the south...it was 7 deg at my camp in the deep south.....this past week....brrrrrrrrrrrr

it does get cold in the south....we just don't use as many ice cubes in the sweet tea on those days!!!...LOL

Lucky7matt---like your cabin...it's shaping up!!!

old old buddy
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 10:42

turkeyhunter
I guess I was thinking about Mississippi along the gulf

How have you been? Did you get a nice buck(s) this year? We're seeing fewer and fewer deer in our surrounding counties. I do believe the coal mining and especially the gas/oil exploration is having a detrimental impact on hunting (deer especially).

I was going to the cabin today but it has been pouring the rain down for the past several hours. Maybe next weekend.

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 10:59

Did you get a nice buck(s) this year?

not to hijack this thread...yes Sir!!! 10 point ( 18 3/4 inch inside spread) 205#'s...passed 9 bucks-- eight point or better the 2 weeks of rut...biggest I passed on was a really nice 9 point....I also passed a huge 3 year old WIDE 7 point...I saw all season...I hope he made it..

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 04:06

Quoting: bldginsp
Looks like a fast way to get a useable building. Unfortunately that roof wasn't designed to be insulated, so if you stuff it full and then put wall covering on it (Sheetrock, T+G) you risk condensation and mold in there. Do you plan to put in ceiling joists and ventilate the attic, or insulate the roof as is?

I didn't think about that. I am glad you mentioned it. That kind of changes thing for me I have to do some thinking now.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 04:08

Looks like you have a lot of good times to look forward to with your cabin. The kids probably can't wait to spend their first night (if they haven't already!)I can't give you any info on the insulation. We put 3 and 1/2 inches in our ceiling but we stapled it to 2X6 rafters so it had about a 2 inch air gap as it is right now. We have a metal roof and haven't finished the ceiling but havce had no condensation issues yet. I guess if we would have stuffed six inch insulation in....we would have....maybe. Since you have 2X4 ceiling joists, you could use about 2 inches of styrofoam and that would give you the air gap you probably need. As I say....I'm not an authority on much and certainly not insulation but I just wouldn't want you to get upset ....thinking you didn't have any options.It took us nine months to get where you're at right now but I have to say that I enjoyed working on it everyday. I hope to see more pictures and updates soon.You won't need a wood burner will you (in Mississippi)? Are you going to have electric and water or rough it like most of us! Old Old Buddy

I thought about using some of that styro board to put up there just to have a little something up there. Now I am not so sure. It doesn't get to terribly cold that often, but I do have a wood burner. I am not sure if I am going to put it in just yet or not. I am going to have electricity run out to it. More pictures coming soon. I just got finished browsing your post on your build looking for tips and ideas, I really enjoyed it.

Purplerules
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 21:54 - Edited by: Purplerules

We did the same thing purchased a cabin shell. We used the styrofoam to give us that air gap on the ceiling. Were in Tx but we have several freeze days this year so i am glad we took the extra step.
How do you like the cost of the insulation? Was way more than I expected to cover our 16x24. I really like that side kind of porch. Curious what you will have right when you come in the door.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 10:10

Purplerules I am not sure what we are gonna put right in the entry way. We have talked about a small set of cabinets with maybe a bar top and a small fridge. We are still kinda up in the air about it.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 10:12

Did the foam help that much?
The wall insulation price was about 12.00 a roll.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 20 Jan 2014 02:38

On a side note I got the carpet put in the loft today. Got a great score on a late night search at lowes last night. Found a 12x20 remnant piece for $50.00 Pictures coming soon.

gersus
# Posted: 20 Jan 2014 16:22

Nice score Lucky7matt!

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 21 Jan 2014 08:42

Thanks!!

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:11

Got a little more done today.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:11

Got a little more done today.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:12

Few more
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:15

We put down some roofing felt for a moisture barrier and some osb to strengthen up the floor.
Laying the floor
Laying the floor
My stepdad helping me out.
My stepdad helping me out.
Two heads are better than one.
Two heads are better than one.
All in.
All in.

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 02:17

The kids getting in on the action.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 08:23

your camp is looking good!!! NICE JOB!!

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 10:25

Thanks

neb
# Posted: 26 Jan 2014 10:45

Looks good! Those buckaroo's will love the place! LOL

Lucky7matt
# Posted: 27 Jan 2014 09:13

A few more
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.