Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Greetings! (getting ready to build stairs to our front door)
Lisa
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 15:52

We are fellow cabin lovers!

Getting ready to build some stairs to our front door! Want a design that is forest friendly and not slippery in the ice!

Suggestions?
See you at the cabin!

Ron and Lisa
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lisa
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 16:07 - Edited by: Lisa

Hail today . . . Rain predicted, who really trusts the NWC? Lol
image.jpg
image.jpg

Purplerules
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 22:54

Like you cabin retreat. We just made quick steps using Home Depots pre-made.

Lisa
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 12:23

Hi!

Thank you so much! Home Depot pre-made steps are new to us, can we see a picture.

The steps we are trying to design will lead across the landscape up to the the deck stairs. Ron is thinking about incorporating railroad ties about 4 feet horizontally about with gravel 2 inches thick. We are open to suggestions!

Ron and Lisa

Just
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 18:19

built these years ago , not the best pic but all I have . I used a 2x10 on its edge with a 2 x 2 treated stake on each side .with gravel in the pocket created. worked for me.
steps
steps

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 21:20 - Edited by: bldginsp

Lisa- one way to make steps is with the large retaining wall blocks they sell at all the home centers. They are about 16 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 7 inches high, just the right size for a step. Won't rot like wood. Probably slippery in frost, but the only thing that is not is the expanded steel with turned up edges like you'll find in industrial situations.

But another simple, inexpensive way to make steps would be to cut lengths of treated 2x6 and set them in the ground with short lengths of rebar driven in to support them, then fill the step half with dirt then half with gravel.

rockies
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 21:41

http://www.hgtv.ca/disasterdiy/episode/?epId=256648
Bryan Baeumler did an episode on his show "Disaster DIY: Cottage Edition" where he built quite an extensive set of stairs and platforms down a steep slope to help out his apprentice. The construction principles should be the same no matter what the angle of slope for your land.

Lisa
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 21:41 - Edited by: Lisa

Hi!

Good Idea! Thanks for the pic! We will investigate your suggestions, possibly using railroad ties with two holes drilled 1/2 in diameter, driven in with rebar. Hope we do not hit gas line Even though Dig Alert came out!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lisa
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 21:55

Hi,

We will check it out! Lol . . . We have a 29% grade!

Ron and Lisa

neb
# Posted: 24 Nov 2013 08:21

Looks good and keep us posted on your build.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 00:11 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Lisa
Hi!

Thank you so much! Home Depot pre-made steps are new to us, can we see a picture.

I too, used the pre cut risers and then the treated decking for the treads. I think the tread was 12" wide stuff. The risers come in either 2 steps or 5 step. I needed 4, so bought 3 of the 5 tread ones at about $25 each ($75) and cut off one tread. But you could buy one and just use it for a pattern. I wanted to just bang it out. Home Depot has them in their decking section in lumber.

I see you are speaking of steps down a long grade,. I'd make them out of RR ties or the windsor block or the smaller cottage stone. I think the bigger windsor block would be more stable. Then you can clue on a wall cap for the actual tread.

Borrego
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 21:19

Lisa - Noticed from your blog you are in SD.. we are too, where is your cabin, up in Julian? We are over the mountains out in the deserts....

Lisa
# Posted: 3 Dec 2013 21:19

Hello Borrego,

You are practically our neighbors! We are in Lake Arrowhead, CA.

I imagine cabin living in the desert is somewhat different than mountains. Do you have pics? We are in beginning stages of some flooring remodeling, trying to find durable material that is water resistant as the dog tracks in snow and dirt all winter lol.

Lisa & Ron

Atlincabin
# Posted: 4 Dec 2013 10:42

Lisa,

A good anti-slip surface can be made on wooden steps by covering them with either chicken wire or hardware cloth (which is like window screen but with much bigger holes), stapled at the edges. Not so great aesthetically (but not too bad depending on the wood they're put onto), but better than looking at a leg or arm cast for six weeks!

Greg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.