Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 cabin in Washington
backcountry jack
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 10:45

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, and kick off a cabin project!

I finally have some time to build a cabin on some land I bought a couple years back.

I like launching myself into things I know nothing about. I've never built anything that's square or sturdy, and don't profess to "know it all," so this will be a challenge, but hoping to get something good built over the next 12-24 months.

Specifications/considerations:
* Under 200 square feet
* Loft area
* Intent is to have someplace to go occasionally over the weekends (more shed-like than cabin-like?).
* Looking for it to last maybe 10-15 years?
* All materials must be carried in about 400-500 yards, up a fairly steep game trail.
* Building site is pretty much solid rock (not able to dig)
* Building site has a somewhat steep slope
* Budget of the project will determine building pace (probably a slow pace)
* Would like to keep budget around $2,000. Is this reasonable?

I like the general design of this shed, and might make some basic alterations to it when the time comes (such as a steeper-pitched roof to allow for loft area--but not too steep to avoid making it look weird): http://www.icreatables.com/sheds/12x16-CC-cape-cod-shed-plans.html

The french doors on one end would be nice to open out onto a deck that could be an add-on someday.

Right now I'm working on a 12 x 16 foundation using deck blocks, and will post photos soon. I have been able to get some deck-blocks and 4 16 ft. 2x6s to the site that I'll lagbolt together to make two beams. This was a compromise over having some 4x6s, but those are heavy given the terrain I have to carry all of this stuff through. I'll probably put a third "beam" (lagbolted in a similar fashion) down the center on top of deck blocks, and joist up some 8ish foot 2x6s on either side of the center beam. Because the ground is solid rock, and can't be dug, I'll use 4x4s to get the foundation level off of the deck-blocks.

Any critiques of this approach?

Anyone read any good blogs about similar cabin projects?

Thanks! Looking forward to posting here in the future!

backcountry jack
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 19:58

Here's the view it'll have.
20130921_10.21.04..jpg
20130921_10.21.04..jpg

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 06:56

Backcountry,

I look forward to pictures of your build site. You mention that the ground is mostly rock and that the build site has a steep slope. Those conditions would be my biggest concern, given that you are using deck blocks as your foundation. IMO a foundation in these conditions needs to be secured to insure that the structure does not slide down the slope. If the rock you mention is bedrock, then you can drill pins into the rock and pour concrete piers. Your 4X4's can then be secured to the piers.

old old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 07:03

Your project sound like a lot of hard work which will be well worth it in the end. There are a lot of people on this forum that build directly on top of the ground, as you ae planning due to the solid bace you have.

The only concern I would have would be wind. Do you ever get wind that blows hard enough that it could move your cabin?

I know that granite is harder than Gelsey's Nuts, but can it be drilled with a special diamond bit or something similar? I live in Ohio so we don't have much experience with granite. Anyway, my point is, if you could somehow drill it and and put anchors in the ground......you could secure your base to the granite.

Maybe the cabin "moving" is not a concern for you. If not...I'd say your plan would work. How steep is your incline you have to go up and how long is it? Could you use a four-wheeler (4X4) to somehow pull your material up the hill? Our road (if you call it that) is about 4/10 of a mile long from the hard-top road, but it ascends almost 600 feet in elevation within that 4/10 mile. The only way for us to get there is on a four-wheeler (unless it's dry and dusty and then my 4WD truck will make it up with some coaxing).

I'll be interested in following your progress and photos. Keep us updated and enjoy the build. Remember...everyone has an opinion and this is mine....but I'm not a carpenter or stuctural engineer by any stretch of the imagination. We have made many mistakes building our cabin but none that are "glaring" and none that we can't live with.
I keep telling my son....."It's just a cabin." But spending time there has been the best thing for me and my family members.

Old Old Buddy

backcountry jack
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 15:26

ShabinNo5 & Old Old Buddy - thanks to both of you for your insights. It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I had not considered the possibility of the thing blowing away or sliding down the hill and will need to keep these possibilities in mind when building.

It's definitely not the windiest place on earth, but every once in a while there is a pretty serious wind storm that can come through. And it would be frustrating to spend a large amount of money and a lot of time, only to have the structure become rickety because of uneven footing due to even a modest amount of sliding.

I think the rock is bedrock, but I'm not sure how to tell. I'm about 99.99% certain it couldn't be dug out, even with an excavator, if that's a way of guessing. As for the slope, it's pretty steep up a game trail to get to the buildsite but the buildsite isn't nearly as steep. An ATV could get there but not a truck. I might be able to get an access point bulldozed in at some point, and that would make life A LOT easier. I'm looking into this right now and will give updates.

At this point I could try to guesstimate the slope for the build site. The 20 foot distance from corner to corner is probably the steepest part of the hill and probably drops about 3-3.5 feet. (20 feet being the square root of 16 foot squared plus 12 foot squared, again the diagonal length of the structure from corner to corner). So about a 3.25 foot drop per 20 feet is what I'd guess the steepness to be from memory (hopefully not too bad? curious on your thoughts here).

I very much like the idea of anchoring the piers down with some kind of cable since there is no water there, and would be really hard to pour a slab. What could I consider using to drill pins in? I don't think the rock is granite per se, but it's definitely hard rock.

Thanks again!

old old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 18:38

As far as drilling I would rent or "borrow" a Hilti Drill. I have one and they go through most stone/rock better than anything I can think of. There a fairly heavy hammer/drill and work well with drilling deep holes. (4" to 6" at a minimum I would say).

I rented a John Deere 650 dozer when we cut our road in and it cost less than $700.00 for everything (delivery, pickup and fuel and 11.3 hours use over a two day period. The dozer weighed around 20,000 pounds so it moved dirt and trees pretty easily. I paid a buddy of mine to operate (play) with the dozer but his wages are not figured in my price.

Good luck and if you don't already have one.....get a four-wheeler! MIne has pulled a gross weight of over 2000 pounds before up three very steep grades.

Old Old Buddy

Truecabin
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 20:49

to transport material 400 feet uphill, maybe use a tight rope or cable high-line where most of the weight is hanging on a pulley 10 feet above ground
you still have to pull the stuff uphill by hand but its mostly hanging on a pully or drag your highline with an atv

if you have some trees a highline is not so hard to do and will save your back

rocks are good to build on. maybe you can use concrete on the rock and pot your hold downs if its clean rock it sticks real good or drill into the rock and epoxy some hold downs

if it still blows away still that was some wind!!!! give it some thought but dont spend all your money preventing things that only happen once in a lifetime gotta watch these forum guys they sometimes spend all your money before your out of the gate

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 21:49

Backcountry,

We built on basalt (very similar to granite). As "old old buddy" mentioned, a quality hammer drill can be used to drill holes. However this is still a slow process. I was able to drill a 7/8" hole at a rate of 1 inch per minute.

Our building is 10 X 20 and sits on 8 concrete piers. Each pier is secured with three 5/8" x 24" rebar pins set 12" into the bedrock. Truecabin should be rolling his eyes about now

The beauty of this forum is that you can get a wide range of options/opinions and all around good advice, then apply what you believe is best for your situation.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Steve

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.