Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New 14X20 in Northern Minnesots
Thriftyone
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 01:26

Its been a year in the making but finally started the build this week with the help of my 14 year old...most all of the materials are reclaimed so I am trying my best to construct the cabin on a small budget. My garage at home is filled with windows that I want to install in the new place. My wife thinks I am getting a little carried away by the amount of window in the place but the view are well worth it. This week we finished the main structure, in the next couple of weeks I am going to add a 4' porch on the front with a loft above. the rear of the main cabin will have an 8' loft as well. I have spent sleepless nights trying to use some Deck Piers I picked up on Craigslist...I was going to do concrete footing but hit water a couple feet down. I also picked up some "I-Joist" for next to nothing on Craigslist so I improvised a double 2X10 flush beam as a rim and notched one of them into the 4x4 post and thru bolted the other one and applied an additional 2x6 scab on the outside of the post to carry the outer 2x10...it appears it will work fine.
IMAG1880.jpg
IMAG1880.jpg
IMAG1885.jpg
IMAG1885.jpg
IMAG1889.jpg
IMAG1889.jpg
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 06:23

Looks good. About where are you building?

Thriftyone
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 11:24

I am building about 18 miles west of Nisswa...I wish you where closer, i would have you finish it for me

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 09:16 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

At one time in my career I sold screenhouses out of Baxter. Nice area, just a little too busy.
On 12/12 pitch roofs you do need to tie the walls together. The floor joists for a loft will work for this.
12/12
12/12

Thriftyone
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 18:32

Thanks for the photo Owen. Are those 2x6, 24" o.c. without a ridge beam? Are those just truss plates holding them together? I will have a 8' loft on a 16' run, will that be enough cross bracing? Thank you!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 00:47

Yes, if they are anchored well to the walls. Yes, the top joints are truss plated. A ridge board is just for helping with the top nailing of rafters and does not serve a structural function. The side pressure that is made with a heavy snow load will be held in check as long as the middle of the eave walls can't move out. The ridge of the roof will stay straight as well as it can't sag if the walls can't bulge. Nothing looks as bad as a saggy roof.

Thriftyone
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 06:18

Thanks Owen, the roof is my next step after exterior sheathing. My original plan was to have a lofted covered porch but now am considering just keeping it simple and adding a front deck with shed roof at a later date. I will post more photos as I progress.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 Jul 2013 06:44

Cool, enjoy the build.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.