Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Adapted Gabled Garden Shed in Alberta - Seeking Wisdom From Others
whitman
# Posted: 6 Sep 2011 16:18

Hi there. Our family has owned a piece of lakeside property for several years that we've used for recreation purposes. This year, we added a gabled garden shed that we're adapting as a permanent structure that can be used year round. The shed is 12X24, 2x6 construction with two 8x11 sleeping lofts. Basic electrical is in place but we're starting to explore our options for running water. (The plan is to add a small 3 pc bath on the main level.)

I'm hopeful others can offer some suggestions about water supply and storage. A buried tank in ground seems to a standard approach in the area but we don't know anything about this -- which products are best, what we need, pitfalls and drawbacks, alternatives, etc.

We do have some skills we can put to use but for the most part, are looking at hiring out the job to a local. That's another quandry -- how do we know if the local contractor is a good contractor?

We are lakeside but I don't know if that could be a water source for us. Also, we're in Alberta where winters get really cold so whatever we put in place needs to be tolerant of bitter temps.

Hopeful that others can help provide some experience and guidance.

Thanking you in advance.

Just
# Posted: 6 Sep 2011 19:47

how many foke use the cabin at one time x 50 gallon a day ,for a average water hungry bathroom, can you fill it every day = the size of the tank ... i would go with poly not metal .with a man hole to get inside
is there enough ,,depth of soil,, to bury such a tank tank should be at least 100 ft.. from the septic system or gray water line
how will you frost proof it in ontario i would like to see at least 30 in. of cover maybe more in the west .
maybe a in- the- tank pump and blader tank with a frost proof hydrent so you could use it in winter if that 's your bag
lots to think about this should get you started .. i'm sure others will have thoughts

whitman
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 03:18

Thanks for the info Just. The number of people will vary. Sometimes just one or two, other times, several people for the weekend. There certainly is lots to think about! I got started today by following up on the development permit so we can adapt the shed for a living space.

No real work will be taking place until at least next spring so I hope to be far more knowledgeable by then.

whitman
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 03:43

Two great links I found with info for newbies like me:

Green Cottager Guide (Published by Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society - Manitoba): http://www.cpawsmb.org/media/Green-Cottager-Guide.pdf

The Living by Water Project: http://livingbywater.ca/

PA_Bound
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 08:39

Lots to consider here:

1. If you live lakeside, that could be a great source of water for everything but drinking (maybe drinking also, but not without treatment). A fishing camp I travel to frequently in Quebec does this- they have a gas powered pump that drafts water from the lake and puts it into 55 gallon drums on top of a tower. The height creates plenty of pressure for toilets, showers, etc. When the tanks run low, they simply start the pump and refill them. They also have a sand-point well for drinking water.

2. I am dealing with a situation very similar to yours, except my water will come from a well not a lake. I am going to implement a design similar to that of an RV. I'm going to pump water from the well to a 50-ish gallon tank, either in or near the cabin. With plenty of water available (like you), you don't need a large tank. I'm going to use a 12v, demand activated water pump to create the pressure at each outlet. Instead of having to design the system to withstand really cold temps, my plan is to design the system to simply drain it for the winter- or possibly winterize it just like an RV.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 09:40

PA_Bound- How high would you say this tower is at the fishing camp in Quebec? Wondering how high it would have to be to get good pressure for an outdoor shower. Obviously they are running toilets and all and we would not.

whitman
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 10:36

PA Bound, I've come across this link several times now. It relies on a pump in the lake that self-drains throughout winter so freezing is not a concern. I don't yet know if we can take water from the lake but if we can, this might be an option for us.

Self-Draining Winter Water System: http://www.cottagewatersupply.com/

PA_Bound
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 21:49 - Edited by: PA_Bound

@trollbridge- I'm not sure how high the tower, but I would estimate about 14 to 15 feet. This picture provides a bit more clarity. From this one tower, they supply the water to about 7 cabins- toilets, sinks and showers.
Quebec water tower
Quebec water tower

PA_Bound
# Posted: 7 Sep 2011 21:59

One other note on this- at my hunting camp we have a barrel that captures rain runoff from the roof. It is about 6' off the ground, and is piped to a sink in the cabin. It provides good enough pressure for a hand washing from a house-hold spigot, but I don't think the pressure would be acceptable for a shower unless you were really desperate.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Sep 2011 11:44

Thanks- good to know. I hate showers that don't have enough pressure...not that I want to be blasted with water either... I wonder what the perfect height would be?

Montanan
# Posted: 8 Sep 2011 15:06

We have a similar situation and set-up. We're in Montana, so we know cold winters. We are not lakeside, but we have a year-round spring fed creek on our property, with water rights. We hired someone to do both our septic and our water source development (a guy recommended by our loan officer at the bank, who had built in the same area and knew people.)

What we put in is a system that siphons off water from the creek with PVC pipe into a makeshift cistern (really just a ribbed plastic 30" diameter piece of culvert pipe, turned on its end and sunk in about 15 feet in the ground, with a metal cover.) The water comes in through the PVC pipe and drips into the collection container. There is an electric pump to bring the water up to our cabin- pipes buried 6'. We have one bathroom and a kitchen sink. Our septic is just a gravity system with the drainfield on the opposite side of the cabin from the water in.

We don't know if it works yet, as we are waiting for power (darn utility company!) But theoretically, because the pipes are buried below the frost line and because the creek is constantly flowing, freezing shouldn't happen. We will have to drain the plumbing every time we leave in the winter, of course. We can do this with a lever on the cover of the pump/collection container. Our water will not be treated, so it will just be for showers/dishes. We'll bring our own drinking water.

Hope that helps.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.