Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 ... 33 . 34 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 5 May 2013 22:40 - Edited by: trollbridge

lol, at first when I stepped out on the porch to snap pictures of the snow and saw the nest I thought 'UGH, why there?', but then I thought about the other birds sitting in their nest up in trees all covered in snow and I thought 'why, that is a pretty smart feathered friend!'

The snow stuck around until today-yesterday the grass was still covered. It has been so wintry that when I find myself thinking about the date and the end of the school year approaching it just doesn't seem right. It truly feels like March to me.

The fishing opener was yesterday...I talked to my son...his buddy and him went turkey hunting instead....plan B, lol. The lakes up north still have ice on them!

We did go to our cabin. We didn't have the snow we left at home but our pond was full of water. That was a nice sight. We saw 4 deer and the birds were all over. We finished our gable end walls. The pictures make it look like orange paint-yikes! it isn't-it is a deep gold...paint and primer in one and boy is that handy! Hopefully I won't have to see the scaffolding with a ladder on top again, well, not til ceiling time anyway. It feels good to have those walls done. We still need to finish the knee wall and the stairway walls.

It rained and sleeted the whole weekend until....today!!!! The sun always has a way of coming out right when it is time to pack for home! Here are some pictures:
april_may_2013_020.j.jpg
april_may_2013_020.j.jpg
april_may_2013_017.j.jpg
april_may_2013_017.j.jpg
april_may_2013_034.j.jpg
april_may_2013_034.j.jpg
full pond!
full pond!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 May 2013 22:49

Oh, and did I mention how annoying it is that we have to destroy the place in order to make progress on anything??? kinda exasperating! Seems like we spend so much time putting everything back together again...oh well

Just
# Posted: 6 May 2013 07:33

the pond

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2013 09:44

Just...I know, right?!!! It made me happy!

MJW
# Posted: 6 May 2013 10:26

Quoting: trollbridge
Hopefully I won't have to see the scaffolding with a ladder on top again

Ugh....I know a thing or two about ladders on top of scaffolding.

I hate ladders now...

Bevis
# Posted: 6 May 2013 16:26

I hate ladders and nail guns...

Bevis
# Posted: 6 May 2013 16:26

Your Orange wall looks good TB...

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 May 2013 21:00

Yes they do......... the pond is beautiful....

hattie
# Posted: 6 May 2013 21:52

Yikes that looks dangerous with a ladder on the scaffolding!!! I'm glad everything went well for you though. Your place looks so beautiful!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 May 2013 07:25 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

It looks good, although all your work makes me tried. What does Noelle think?

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 May 2013 10:31

Lol...Bevis....I promise you...the walls are NOT orange...really...lol and yes...you should stay far away from nail guns and ladders...far, far away, cause I've heard your tale of disaster, and no...you would not want that to happen again!!! Right?!??

I HATE scaffolding!!!!!! With a ladder on top...it's plain stupid but we gotta get the job done and well, at least it was only one layer of scaffolding last weekend! Really, really scary is three layers and then a ladder...outdoors...in the wind...on not so level ground................while lifting sheets of plywood over your head..........that's like a death wish!!! Really dumb!

Noelle loves the cabin! She has lots to look around at. Our 9 year old babysat her while we painted-she was happy she earned 5 dollars and Noelle sucked her fingers, kicked her feet, babbled and giggled, played with her teething toys and took a long, peaceful nap after she got use to the sound of the compressor kicking randomly on! She's such a trooper

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 May 2013 13:18

really like the FL orange....looks fantastic...LOL

no really the progress looks great!!!

any fish in that pond???

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 May 2013 22:56 - Edited by: trollbridge

NO FISH and NOT ORANGE!!!
Thanks TH

Owen...spring peepers are, um, well, peeping I just got home from a walk, it's a gorgeous night down here. Tons of stars in the sky and the peepers down by the pond. As much as I enjoy snow, I have to admit these evenings have been phenomenal! I can hardly wait for the toads to start mating!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:29

You best avert your eyes.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 May 2013 07:17

Where are you? There's a big fire up here by your cabin.

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:07

Finally getting to this...

We were up to our cabin this past weekend and had a great time. Our pond was full last time and overflowing this time. We will have to dig an overflow escape in the near future to prevent it from wanting to back up towards the cabin. This shouldn't take too long.

The weather was seriously bi polar all day Saturday, and when I say all day, I do mean allllllllll day! It was raining, then snowing, then sunny for about a minute and then hailing, back to rain, sleet, dippin dots...what have you, it happened. Truly remarkable how it continued the whole day thru!

We worked up in the loft and for the life of me I cannot get the walls to show their true color, but I'm still promising you they are not bright orange You will just have to take my word on it!

We put up shelving and finished the stair railing at the top of the stairs to match our other railing. We also built a "building inside a building" over the bed in the loft and I completed that old window frame project for the living room. I cleaned a ton of dust from everywhere inside and Mr. Troll got the screened porch cleaned off. That had a winters worth of sawdust and wood scraps on it. It was pretty much a disaster, but now it is ready to go for the long Memorial Day Weekend. Can't wait!
april_may_2013_083.j.jpg
april_may_2013_083.j.jpg
april_may_2013_082.j.jpg
april_may_2013_082.j.jpg
april_may_2013_031.j.jpg
april_may_2013_031.j.jpg
april_may_2013_081.j.jpg
april_may_2013_081.j.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:16 - Edited by: trollbridge

Yes...that is an old boot up on the roof! This area will be a fishing theme. We will be finishing behind the bed with some doors soon. Oh, and ignore the sheet of drywall in front of the door (need to get that hung on the stairs). Fun to get our creative juices flowing with stuff we find on our land, like that old boot
april_may_2013_098.j.jpg
april_may_2013_098.j.jpg
last bit of snow hanging on
last bit of snow hanging on
april_may_2013_066.j.jpg
april_may_2013_066.j.jpg
april_may_2013_067.j.jpg
april_may_2013_067.j.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:23 - Edited by: trollbridge

Here is that logging project that kept me busy. The barbed wire is from the land and I'm happy with how it turned out. Noelle getting a bath...cabin style...she's ready to graduate to a galvanized tub! She loves getting a bath no matter what it's in
Which reminds me. We decided to convert our bunkhouse into a bath house hopefully this summer...you'll have to stay tuned Got to dream up some new ideas for that!
april_may_2013_057.j.jpg
april_may_2013_057.j.jpg
april_may_2013_061.j.jpg
april_may_2013_061.j.jpg
april_may_2013_049.j.jpg
april_may_2013_049.j.jpg
april_may_2013_018.j.jpg
april_may_2013_018.j.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:35

I saw the saw, on the ceiling. Your project looks cool. Baby looks happy.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:48

I set her chubby little body in the bowl and she overflowed it! She's really grown since the last time!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 May 2013 10:47

Your cup runith over. The story of your life.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 May 2013 16:57

I have been truly blessed, as have you, Owen.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 May 2013 17:02 - Edited by: trollbridge

Looks like a ton of rain coming........hope the pond has gone down some, as it was already overflowing! Remember last year? Flood of the century.....

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 May 2013 08:12

Sorry I was gone. I have Clearwire and they had some issues. Wet, wet and more wet. This should put an end to the fire danger. I haven't been able to bike to work this week, I need to get back to it. I hope to load lumber for Ely tomorrow night. There are a lot of moose in the area where I'm building, I'll take a camera. I probably won't get on line 'til Mon. night. That will be strange. The phone works there though. I'll be taking one man with me to help. It'll be a camping trip.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 May 2013 21:45

Hope the cabin build goes smoothly. I hope you see moose! I also hope it dries out some and that the long weekend has nice weather.

We are going to be at the cabin-all the grandkids are going to be there and a number of our children...it will be a full house for sure! Hoping to spend a day at the beach, so fun watching the little ones run and play. Some hammock time, a couple of smores, some time gazing at the moon, and a couple birthdays to celebrate...should be a great time! Can you tell relaxing is on my priority list? Lol.

Have you noticed the ticks being bad this year?

hattie
# Posted: 21 May 2013 21:53

That photo of Noelle in the tub is adorable!!! That will be a keeper for generations.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 May 2013 22:25

Have a nice weekend. I have seen a couple deer ticks at Sturgeon Lk. , not bad yet. Hattie is so right. She'll have some more pics. after this weekend , for sure.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 May 2013 13:41

Yes, Hattie She surely did enjoy that bath! I'll forever think fondly of my pink enamel bowl as her first cabin bathtub! I get very sentimental over these things, especially when they involve the children or grandchildren

We decided we are going to turn half of our bunkhouse into a bath house. I think I will keep a copy of this picture formed and on the wall out there. I'm excited. I told my husband the bath house is mine to decorate and that he probably wasn't going to like it much, but too bad lot's of time will be spent on Pinterest, I'm sure

Thanks, Owen. I hope your weekend is great...even though you are working, I hope you get some time to fish and relax

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 May 2013 23:50

I'm back from building already. Things went great. I'll load for more work and go up Mon. Now on to mine for the weekend.
Let us know how yours goes.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 May 2013 09:50

I thought you were building the cabin all weekend. It's wonderful that you get to go to yours! Have a super time...looks like the weather will be decent enough

I have so much to pack and do with so many people coming that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed this morning. I hope I have everything I need written on my list...

Full moon tonight...listen for the howling of wolves. Lol.

<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.