Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My New Bunkhouse
tfsimmons
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 17:35

Hi Folks,
I have 10.5 acres of recreational mountain property that is not (and won't be anytime soon) zoned for cabins. The county won't issue any kind of building permits for up there. We have used an old trailer for years to camp there but it has seen better days.
I have long planned to put a shed up there to use as a bunkhouse but the county requires a building permit for any shed 120 sq ft or larger so it has to be small.
I finally put this barn-style 8 X 14 (112 sq ft) shed with a loft and lots of windows up there last month and got it painted and the loft carpeted.
My clever daughter painted the plywood floor to look like a plank floor just for fun. We had our first family campout there over the last weekend and had a great time.
I will be putting the slide-out-to-a-bed couch from the old trailer in there and will put a deck around it and I will add insulation and paneling inside.
It's small but will be a big improvement over the old leaky trailer!
I just retired this week and plan to spend more time up there making improvements.
Bunkhouse_Outside
Bunkhouse_Outside
Bunkhouse_Inside
Bunkhouse_Inside
Bunkhouse_Floor
Bunkhouse_Floor

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 17:40

Nice
Might want to be careful about decking; ie, if it is attached to the structure they might consider it more square footage. Make it free standing right 'up close'.

tfsimmons
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 17:51

Good to know!
Thanks!

ICC
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 03:52 - Edited by: ICC

Exterior decking is normally counted as non-habitable space and does not count to the building footprint. In every place I've built in that has been the rule; if the space is heated or cooled it is habitable. Porches, decks and garages do not count. But locals can conjure up some nutty and wrong ideas.

Rules should not be conjured up out of thin air or the whims of one or a handful of people. It seems very strange that they won't issue a building permit but will allow a small structure, under a certain size, to be built. Those type of exemptions to building permits normally have conditions that allow the small 'no-permit-needed' structure to ne built as an accessory building. Meaning it can be built but only once a larger building that was built with a permit exists. And the fine print on those sorts have restrictions against being used for anything other than storage. Like okay to use for storing camping gear but not okay to sleep in.

I would like to see the actual legal county or town ,whatever code documents that pertain to why no permits will be issued. Sometimes valid restrictions exist; wetlands, shorelines, riparian areas along streams can be valid reasons to restrict building.

The rules usually begin with sanitation (septic, privy...) that are governed by state laws along with rules pertaining to wells also a state level thing.

The county or authority having jurisdiction should be able to supply documentation, the pertinent statutes as to why permits are not issued.

Is this part of a special development that has authority to issue all sorts of association rules like an HOA or club? If that is the case all bets are off and why buy into something like that?

Something seems off if this is regular privately owned land.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 11:51

Congrats! Daughter’s floor job looks great!

Lots of good times coming!

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 14:25

I solved all the regs/permit problems once by using a 8x12 'ice shanty' built on an old small trailer frame.
Guess there aren't any regs about having to put an ice shanty over ice, lol.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 12:32

Floor is amazing. Kudos.

jsahara24
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 12:54

Floor and the setup looks great, looks like a nice project to step into with retirement!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.