Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Little 8x16 shed to cabin conversion
. 1 . 2 . >>
mikesova
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 21:44

I am purchasing this little shed to be moved to my camping property. Before I have it moved, I'm building a gravel foundation surrounded by treated 4x4's.

It's not the exact thing we wanted, but it was local and it was a decent deal. One thing I would have preferred would be a normal entry door over the wooden doors. Is there a good way to seal those up for use as a cabin, or should I just plan on reframing for an entry door?

My plan will be to run some wiring for lights and some receptacles , insulate the ceiling and walls, and then cover the ceiling and walls. I was thinking like 1/4" luan, but I would consider other budget ideas. On one end I think we will do a bed on a bunk so there can be storage below it. Probably a table and chairs maybe a small counter top.

It will pretty much be a place to sleep and get out of bad weather.

I think I will also want to build a ground level deck in front of it.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions, especially from anybody with a similar build.
455874852_1288021378.jpg
455874852_1288021378.jpg
456034235_5175637507.jpg
456034235_5175637507.jpg
455864219_3747242554.jpg
455864219_3747242554.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 22:47

Think about getting it up off the ground so it can breath under there.
Also consider an extension roof from the door(s) forward so you don't have to go in/out through the rain coming from the roof.
Take a look at the past threads here about 'powering' your dream; lots of good info.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 00:49

Quoting: mikesova
Is there a good way to seal those (doors) up for use as a cabin

The home stores sell peel and stick foam strips in small rolls.

Quoting: mikesova
gravel foundation surrounded by treated 4x4's
Make the gravel pad 14x16 so you can pour a concrete front porch. Make sure the framing for the porch is 1/2 bubble sloped away for rain. Make sure to use rebar in 2'x2' grid square to keep the concrete from cracking.

Looks like not enough room to attach a porch roof. Put up a roof gutter on the front and build a taller sloped porch roof.

Curly
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 20:26

I would suggest some additional windows to help with ventilation. Also, you may want to consider installing an exterior light. I'd also suggest painting the interior white or a light color to brighten things up in there.

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 20:45

Some of these are difficult to insulate effectively without causing potential damaging moisture condensation behind the insulation and the exterior siding and roofing. Where is this, or what soet of climate?

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 01:03

I have a 10x14 that I converted into a small temporary cabin. Insulate the floor even if you have to do it from the top. Garage door seals work really well for a door seal in these. Put it on the inside pressing against the door. It made a big difference on mine.

Mice are going to want to get in so think like your 1/4in wide and want to get in for everything you do.

mikesova
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 14:34

To insulate the floor, I'll probably just use the stuff that you lay down before you put down laminate flooring.

mikesova
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 14:55

I'm in Northern MI.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 23:27

Do you plan on useing it in the winter?

mikesova
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 12:52

probably sometimes, but not right away. I'd have to think more about a woodstove or another heat source.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 13:54

Be aware that a wood burning stove takes up a fair amount of floor space with the required clearances for safety. Small spaces require small stoves and good small stoves and the chimney may surprise you with their cost. Small stoves also often have trouble carrying a fire overnight and are sometimes difficult to regulate to a low enough heat level.

A direct vent propane wall heater can often be a better solution in a small space. But then you need to buy propane and not use 'free' firewood if you have trees to cut.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 14:33

Imo, after having a couple in cabins and loving wood heat, is that wood stoves take up more than a fair amount of space.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 19:20

Wood stoves definitely take up a fair amount of space. This is ours in a 10x14. The beds go next to it so not actualy that much loss of space. This setup including the stove cost under $500. With no insulation ar 4*f it kept us warm. It prety cold in the morning though. This was always going to be a temporary cabin for us. If it wasn't I would prob insulate and use something like a chinese diesel heater in it. Small, cheap and cheap to run.
20200927_185606.jpg
20200927_185606.jpg

mikesova
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 14:47

hopefully getting it delivered to my site this week.

mikesova
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 13:56

It’s home! Now the fun begins…
IMG_7472.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg
IMG_8140.jpeg
IMG_8140.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 14:13

Wha Hoo!
Do an overnighter in it

mikesova
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 14:19

If I'm doing an overnighter out there, I'll stay in the cargo trailer. ;) it's a camper conversion. The shed is still just a shed at this point.

mikesova
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 13:23

Ok, so I have some electrical stuff, wiring, boxes, outlets, etc.

Still deciding how I want to bring the power into the shed, using a recessed male outlet and plugging in a cord or hard wiring it all the way to the electrical box, but right now I'm thinking about insulation. I've heard that the foam board insulation is superior to the rolled fiberglass. I also reached out to a guy who does spray foam and he quoted me 1500$ to do an 8x16 shed with 7ft wall. The shed is made of T-111 and has a ridge vent on the steel roof. Is there anything special I need to keep in mind when insulating? It has triangular trusses that I would probably leave the cross beam exposed and doing wall covering all the way up (not really leaving an attic space).

My wife would like to be able to stay in the cabin in the winter using a 1500w electric heater. What insulation should I be looking at for Central Michigan?

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 13:34

For your location you will want to Fill the wall cavities. It wont be code but will be plenty easy to heat and stay warm if pretty well air tight.
The ridge vent is venting the whole building and all the heat will go out through it . An insulated 'real' building will have the venting coming in at the eves and exiting the ridge Only in an uninsulated area). I doubt you have any air inlets at the eve (top of wall) area between the rafters. If you want the 'roof' to breath you will need to make inlets, screen them, and insulate the ceiling at the cross ties/lower run of the trusses.

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 14:36

$1500 to spray the walls and ceiling..do your electrical and pay the guy. How are you going to insulate the floor? It would need to be done.

mikesova
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 16:29

don't know, unfortunately it's a prebuilt, so I don't know what i'd do beyond adding a layer of foam to the floor and putting down more plywood...

mikesova
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 16:31

This may end up a fall cabin, not winter. ;)

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 19:35

Mike, we built a cabin, 12x24 c/w a 12x12 loft in '83-'84; had 1" of blue Dow under the floor, same Dow outside the plywood sheathing and under the barn board 'siding' an NO insulation in the roof At All. We used that in all seasons as we wished for 30+ years with just a med sized antique upright wood stove I refurbed.
In perspective, in years long past many families lived in structures less well built and far less airtight than what some of ours are today

Curly
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 20:22

An off the wall option would be use radiant floor heating. That would help with your floor insulation issue, but probably would not work for quickly heating up the space. Warm feet make wives and dogs very happy

paulz
# Posted: 16 Sep 2024 20:24 - Edited by: paulz

Congrats Mike. Boy I sure consider a wood stove an integral part of cabin life. Can be done as Brett showed.

Gets used for more things; heat food, dry wet clothes, warm counter top. Nothin beats sleeping warmed up next to a crackling fire. Well almost nothing.

paulz
# Posted: 17 Sep 2024 21:50

Well I need to question my last comment.. Today I went up to straighten out my little aux place, actually measured 7x14 inside. If it were just me I’d get by in it, but a wood stove, at least normal size, would be too much. Not to mention all the other necessities. Maybe one of those small cylindrical wood burners, I think Darz posted one earlier, but then of course the smoke has to go somewhere..
IMG_3447.jpeg
IMG_3447.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Sep 2024 23:05

Ice Shanty wood stove, Paul
But I suppose since you are in CA you don't know 'ice shanties'......

paulz
# Posted: 18 Sep 2024 14:17

Well I have been to Lake Tahoe many times, never stayed in an ice shanty.

This one would work in a small place. I’ve been burning lots of 2bys lately, leftover construction cut offs, would be perfect.
IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3456.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 18 Sep 2024 14:48

Quoting: paulz
2bys lately, leftover construction cut offs

...easy stuff to split into kindling

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Sep 2024 16:12

I think that wood () still cook you out in short order.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.