Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member checking out this great site
lawco18
# Posted: 25 Aug 2008 11:04

Nice to see others with the same small cabin interest. I bought 18 acres in southern Ohio (where land is cheap) a couple of years ago. I have spent the last year digging a pond with an old Bobcat loader. I have logged about 100 hours on the machine. That is twice as many hours as I thought it would take. I hope to finish the pond project within the next couple of weeks. Then it will be time to start the cabin planning.

I am having trouble decided where to put the cabin. I can make use of a long steep driveway already on the property and put the cabin in a meadow far from the pond. Or, I can put the cabin in a steep wooded area overlooking the meadow, closer to the pond, without direct vehicle access. I have been going back and forth on this one.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the value of direct vehicle access to the cabin. If I put the cabin in the wooded area, I can't park my vehicle any closer than about 200 feet from the cabin.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 25 Aug 2008 14:52

One consideration would be whether anyone you might invite over could manage the trail to the cabin. But if you've got a Bobcat, you can probably cut a pretty decent trail.

A second thought is that if your cabin will be unoccupied much of the time, it will likely be a lot more secure if troublemakers can't drive right up to it. Even better if they can't even see it from the road or driveway, and the start of the trail in isn't obvious.

Having a short walk in might also give you a greater feeling of getting away from it all, back to nature, etc.

Would you get adequate sunlight in the steep wooded area?

Frank

swanugly
# Posted: 25 Aug 2008 15:38

i think i would put the cabin where it is the most fun to use , were you will want to spend most of your time , and the best view .
maybe transporting your building materials is going to be dificult , or maybe can you move the materials with the bobcat ?

as you get older maybe coping with the trail will be a problem ?

i know i have gott,n lazy over the years and like to park rite beside my camp . but ya know when we camp we still have to walk about 200 ft each way to the outhouse , water and shower .

we had a tuff choice as well , we had a few nice spots . i built the cabin on skids low to the ground , i will skid it to a differant spot if we change our minds

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.