Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / OMG! What is this bug, and how do I get rid of it???
Owen Kellogg
# Posted: 12 May 2014 06:36

I've recently been seeing these bugs around my cabin since the weather warmed up. I've killed about 6 of them in the last week or so...
I've been living here alone in the woods for 9 months, and things like this are normally no big deal, however...

I have a new girlfriend now, and she's visiting for the first time this weekend. I'd be horrified if one of these little critters scampered across
the floor while we were "gettin busy"...

I'm far from other homes, so I doubt it's a roach. Also, I keep the cabin fairly clean (for a bachelor). My guess is that it's some type of water bug because I live near a pond and creek. I'm hoping there's some type of spray or other repellent I could use to take care of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Attached is a pic of my new enemy...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just
# Posted: 12 May 2014 07:14

wood roach we get them near lake Erie .

Don_P
# Posted: 12 May 2014 07:31

Get one of the borate based roach be gone powders and dust under cabinets, cracks, hidden pathways, etc. They will track through it and slowly be poisoned. It isn't an immediate contact poison but it is long term, effective and won't slowly lead to your demise. I lived in one place where we called them skateboard roaches... they were huge. In polite SC society they are "palmetto bugs".

Owen Kellogg
# Posted: 12 May 2014 11:28

OK...what about some borax sprinkled around for long term repellent, but some roach motels for some quick results? How effective are those things?
I don't think I have a huge infestation problem, but I need to trap/repel as many as I can before the weekend...

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 May 2014 13:03 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Sorry about that. Your gf would be really upset if one took a hike home with her in one of her bags. I have traveled to tropical and semi tropical locals and NEVER bring my bags in the house until I go through them. I once found two roaches in a bag from Hawaii.

These bugs are everywhere down south. They have wings too. I've seen them like that in TX and FL. People have spray programs to keep them at bay inside the house. But if you know where to look you just might find a few in your five star resort room.

My brother lives in S FL and does all his own pest control. I will ask him when he gets back from Europe in two weeks what he uses if you'd like?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.