Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Sand Flies In The Cabin, BC Canada
Masa
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 15:07

I am building an off grid cabin in Haida Gwaii, BC, and I have been having terrible issues with noseeums/sand flies. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

There is a video here to show just how bad it got: http://youtu.be/aJZDMNfWnEs

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 19:51

Masa,... that's not a cabin... that's a house of horrors! I started to scratch just watching the video. If the bugs are bad like that only a couple weeks a year... I think I know when I would be scheduling my vacation away from the cabin- and the rest of the year working dilgently to make my cabin as tight as possible. If you can get it fairly tight, you may want to invest in some of thise mosquito coils that you light and then just let smoke into the room. I use them fishing in Quebec every summer, and they do a pretty good job- as long as the cabin is tight enough to keep them mostly out and the smoke mostly in.

Masa
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 11:38

Difficult to say how much of the infestation was because of my disturbing a virgin stand of salal and spruce. It seems to have been an especially bad year for bugs (around the province). During the previous couple of visits here during the summer, I don't remember encountering a single biting insect. Having spent seasons planting in the BC interior when the mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies etc were bad, North Beach seemed like paradise. However, even when there was a plague at my cabin there were only a few noseeums at the cabin I was staying in down the hill and none at Rich and Lisa's. Down the beach, a guy I know had a similar infestation in his cabin (he ended up sleeping in his bed, wrapped in a tent without the poles). Not sure what the pattern is for bug activity. If I have the same problem again though, I will try the coils!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.