Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Raccoons
<< . 1 . 2 .
darz5150
# Posted: 6 Jun 2024 02:26

ICC.
Do you own the trap, and they relocate for free?

paulz
# Posted: 6 Jun 2024 02:29

Dog barking last night but it was just this. Rat trap set up tonight.
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jun 2024 02:57

My son owns the trap. The county animal control handled the transport and release 'sin costo'

I don't know if that (no charge) is very common, but his county is considerably more wealthy with more community services than mine. They do have a considerable wild animal population to contend with as the townsite is mountain mesa tops with many interspersed canyons; homes on the finger like mesas with animals in the in between canyons. Wide variety of wildlife; deer, bears , raccoons, coyotes, rabbits, etc.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Jun 2024 22:23

Update: Raccoons can be very smart. My son reports that there is yet another raccoon and it will not go inside the trap far enough to grab the marshmallow that he places on the trigger mechanism. Perhaps it saw one of the others get caught. It has taken a couple of marshmallows that were left outside the cage leading into the open end and one marshmallow that was placed inside a few inches before the last one on the trigger mechanism. But it stops. My son says he will continue leaving s marshmallow bait on the trigger plate as the raccoon only has to give into temptation/greed once. We shall see what develops.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Jun 2024 22:56

Hmm, interesting. My guy came last night, dog didn’t wake up. That I can live with. I had set three traps, there were dead little mice in the little ones but the bigger one was unsprung, peanut butter gone. I’ll try tying a piece of meat tonight.

Raccoon trap in stock at local Harbor Freight, probably next. It doesn’t bother me coming around, if it keeps the dog quiet.
IMG_2770.jpeg
IMG_2770.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 14 Jun 2024 13:15 - Edited by: paulz

Been pretty quiet around here lately, touch wood. Some new Does with their little ones passing by, my understanding is they don’t deter the raccoon population though.

Do these things do anything for raccoons? Got a coupon to use this weekend…
IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_2793.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 14 Jun 2024 19:48

Quoting: paulz
Do these things do anything for raccoons

No idea

paulz
# Posted: 14 Jun 2024 20:25 - Edited by: paulz

Ok well for 8 bucks I’ll try one. If I catch them out there doing the two step around it I’ll report back.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 23:30

#3, noticably bigger than the others...
3rd
3rd

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jun 2024 01:42

There are some guys that eat them I hear.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Jun 2024 11:18

I’ve eaten one. Made pulled raccoon sandwich’s for a wild game dinner. A little greasy but very tasty. I’m sure you could drain the grease better and it would be great

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jun 2024 20:49 - Edited by: paulz

I was at a horse boarding/training place down the road the other day. The workers catch many raccoons, and cook em up.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.