Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Setting up for marine battery system
squirrel
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 21:36

I know somewhere in here the is something about using marine battery for power I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I am actually no where close to understanding the way to hook up my lights and battery together I have some car lights what I plan on is to transport my battery to and from in order to keep it charged I have a cart that I plan on setting the battery on so it's easier to transport I will not be able to get any solar any time and really just want to use the battery for my light charging a phone and maybe charging a portable DVD player and a 12 v pump. I d appreciate if some one can help me with a diagram I am more of a hands on person and if I see it I may can understand it better then to read it when it comes to power issue I'm just not understanding the basic I know I can use an inverter but I read it take power away. I took a running light and just hooked it to the battery for a short time and it got really hot quick I don't want to have a fire so I think I need something between the lights an battery other then a fuse

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 22:00

Sorry, I don't have a diagram because I have no idea what configuration you are thinking of doing.

A few basic rules:
Everything must be grounded. That's the minus or black side.
The plus or red is the power/hot side.

So starting at the red/plus side of battery, you start with a fuse. Make sure it's not rated heavier than your wire. That protects entire system from meltdown.
From fuse, wire to your switch panel. (I'm most familiar with boat setups)

From switch panel, you run smaller hot wires to your components that you wish to power. From component, the ground wire typically will run back to switch panel and the switch panel will typically have a grounded lug strip that all small grounds are hooked to and there is then a larger ground wire running back to battery.

If heat is a concern, get LED lights. The car light that you was burning is incandescent. It is a power burner and makes light by shorting out and making an element glow. This glow is what is causing the heat. A car headlight will be hotter than the 4th of July if you feel it.

There's much info online. Be careful and if you need help, hire a professional. Direct current can be very safe or very not.

Salty Craig

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 22:00

Try reading this for starters. And this page has links to assorted basic info.

Also try using periods and paragraphs to make it easier for us to read your posts.

squirrel
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 22:54 - Edited by: squirrel

Thanks Salty Craig I will do some more reading and look into some other lighting.I do have this diagram I found some where I was thinking l this is about what you are talking about. When I found that light to be so hot I thought I may be needing something else like a voltage regulator of some kind. It make sense about the light and why it was so hot. So I thank you for that info.

Mtndon I apologize for the run on sentences I was trying to get what I had in my mind out and simply typed it as it came. But I haven't completely read your links but it looks like some good information. I will finish reading it so thank you too

I knew I would find answers here because of the knowledge this forum has
12 volt battery set up
12 volt battery set up

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 23:08

squirrel

You're welcome. In that diagram they are switching the ground. I believe switching the hot side is a much better idea. Both work.

Also, be sure that if you start with a 12 volt (most common) system, that you stay with 12 volt entirely. Do not mix voltages.

There's some guys on this forum that have forgot more than I know. Hopefully they will chime in. That Japanese pickup truck guy is smart as crap.

Craig

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 23:38

Fuses and switches go in the + wire always, at least in the USA and Canada.

Main fuse close to battery as possible. Auxillary fuses downstream from there. Fuses protect wire, not devices.

LED lights are the only sensible choice for off grid. IMO. Lots of 12 VDC on ebay.

Make a list of all devices you want to use.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 09:29

@Squirrel, Automotive lights (conventional) are incandescent and will generate heat, especially sealed beam headlights. Heat is also wasted power that is not doing you any favours.

I'd strongly suggest you get a couple of automotive / RV LED Lights ... The RV & Marine crowd have a big jump on goodies for use and there are some surprising deals to be found within that community of folks which can be easily transplanted to Cabin Survival & Roughing it.

They also sell Solar Kits for RV/Marine at very reasonable prices that would save you lugging batteries around (you'll tire of it quickly)... The "Coleman Kits while they work well and are easy to use are way overpriced IMO and similar can be had for less than 1/2 the cost of the "Coleman/Sunforce". So for the cost of one good Marine Grade battery you can get a panel, charge controller and related...

Check out this place 12volt-travel/ Of course hunt E-Bay & Amazon...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.