Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove firescreen
Grizzlyman
# Posted: 22 Sep 2024 19:47

Now that it’s gettin to be chilly I’m starting to plan for fall wood stove season 2024

I have a small older model intrepid Vermont casting. I much prefer having the doors open but sparks re a problem.

I’m looking for a screen specifically for this one. It’s small- 13x12. I can find any super small ones yet- just started looking.

Here are options.

1. Buy the actual one from Vermont casting for $150-200 from what I’ve found. The nice things about these is the hug the contour and look amazing.

2. Buy a bigger one and put it on the floor in front of the stove… don’t like this as much- I like the idea of a small one that fits on the lip.

3. Make one or find another option.

Anyone have any suggestions or anyone homemade ones I could see?
IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG_6379.jpeg
IMG_6379.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 22 Sep 2024 21:20

Quoting: Grizzlyman
...hug the contour and look amazing.

Buy the VC one that is a perfect fit. They are so nice, even though they are so pricey. I hardly use my two VC stoves in the house since getting heat pumps that can operate off the solar, but the stove screen is so great when an open-door fire is desired.

drb777
# Posted: 23 Sep 2024 15:42

I concur w/ ICC, get the VC screen. I've been using a VC direct-vent gas stove for 11 years and it couldn't be better. Yes all VC products are pricey, but the satisfaction of their use makes them worthy.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Sep 2024 19:36

I have one for a vigilant in my garage. It's been there for over a decade. I have never used one. Do you burn soft wood?

Can you find the VC one on Ebay?

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 24 Sep 2024 01:32

Brettny yeah mostly softwood and or poplar- but mostly white pine and red pine- that’s just what we have. Any poplar we have is usually too small or too big and is a pain in the a to transport to the woodshed. I have an overabundance of pine at the moment. It’s probably 10 to 1 pine trees.

They are on eBay and slightly less but still in the that 100+ range. I don’t mind buying the nice one- just looking for other ideas. I think I’ll ultimately probably buy the vc.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 3 Oct 2024 22:00

To put a bow on this thread. Bought the vc screen. Just arrived. Very nice. $100 new.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Oct 2024 22:51

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.