Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How about 2 x 12v 280 amp in series???
rachelsdad
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 08:43 - Edited by: rachelsdad

https://www.litime.com/products/12v-280ah-plus-lifepo4-battery?variant=44579551248604

Pricing is at $571 per battery

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 13:40

Always better if you can stay with the voltage you want rather than series but.... that's a great price!

I went with 2 x 12v self heating in series for my shop and they work fine. Same in the cabin 2s2p x 24v in the cabin 3 years ago and are still nearly identical in voltage.

Steve_S
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 14:35

2 in series can work if done right but can also be a PITA if not done right. Safest, simplest & more reliable, is to stay Native on the voltage and do 24V Battery for 24V system.

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 20:27

If those bats will actually work in series (some wont) I'd likely go for it. They are awfully tempting!

ICC
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 22:02

LiTime's website lists they are good up to 4S4P I believe. Double check that.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 08:57

Makes sense to stick w/24v.

Like it was said in the other post 2 x 24 offer a fail safe if one goes bad.

I really like the idea of the serviceability of the SOK battery.

https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/sokess-24v-100ah-lifepo4-battery

For those wincing at the cost my original set up was 8 lead batteries.....Would cost the same to go back!

ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 12:38 - Edited by: ICC

FWIW, I am very happy with my SOK 24V100A battery. I only have 1 for my cabin system; about a year and a half old now. Good customer service; I had a small issue and they sent a new BMS w/o questioning.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 13:37

Remind me the advantage of 24v over 12. Pretty sure my charge controller will go 24, easy enough to recable the bank. Is it just smaller wire?

ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 13:54 - Edited by: ICC

Smaller wires to inverter.

Smaller wires from solar charge controller and/or plug in charger to the battery.

Just one battery. (In my case)

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 14:02

Don’t you have a 12v water pump? How do you run that or other 12v stuff?

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 15:29

Quoting: paulz
Remind me the advantage of 24v over 12. Pretty sure my charge controller will go 24, easy enough to recable the bank. Is it just smaller wire?

Smaller wires.. plus you can pull much more power from the inverter. Its all about the math, if you pull 3000w from your inverter:
3000 \ 12 = 250 x 1.10 (losses) = 275Amps

3000 \ 24 = 125 x 1.10 = 137.5Amps

137.5 is still huge amps but much more reasonable than 275 amps.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 15:39

Downside is that to run 12 VDC items you need as 24 to 12 VDC converter.. I have a mil-spec surplus converter that is highly efficient on the conversion and has a very low standby current. Measured in mAh. Samlex has some good ones, other brands I'm sure.

Originally with my lead-acid battery bank I was using a Outback 3500 watt inverter. I wanted the 24 volts to power that efficiently.

If I was redoing from scratch today I would still do 24 volts.

Higher battery voltage also allows more watts in the solar array.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 17:09

Thanks guys. Since I’m all set up at 12v I should probably keep it that way. The big cables are a bit cumbersome when digging in there but my fridge, TV, modem, water pump, usb busses, camera and some lights are all 12. Inverter rarely overloads.

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 21:17

Quoting: paulz
Thanks guys. Since I’m all set up at 12v I should probably keep it that way. The big cables are a bit cumbersome when digging in there but my fridge, TV, modem, water pump, usb busses, camera and some lights are all 12. Inverter rarely overloads.

Yup, I wouldn't switch if you have all that already running on 12V. The juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze!

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 21:47 - Edited by: gcrank1

Paul, your 12v system is nicely balanced and working well. Imo, going to 24 would be a 'make work' project for you with little to no real world benefits for you.
Now if you had to start over (or maybe were a newby to cabin powering) considering 24v right off might be a good idea. Might be..... There is still a good case to be made that for small scale 12v is still a good choice.
Im also at 12 in my 'inherited system; and Ive whittled back in each re-do rather than expand but I seem to be an exception.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 14:57 - Edited by: paulz

Yeah 12 it is, I forgot our Meanwell chargers, which are 16v max, I will be relying on soon after the solar dies out for winter. Another thing, if I were 24v it’s only a matter of time before I accidentally plug in a car something or other and fry that.

On another note, my friend Mitch who just those LFPs in his cabin, sent me this article on Li battery types. I had no idea LFPs were being used in E cars.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/lfp-battery-in-your-next-ev-tesla-and-others-s ay-yes
IMG_3363.jpeg
IMG_3363.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.