Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Oil Stain Remover
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 18:39

750 GT? SS? Very nice too. A lot smoother running than the singles, but I have a soft spot for singles. Had numerous ones. I got my 450 in Italy and the army shipped it home.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 19:36

Ive had Japanese 4 stroke singles for decades, started with a '76 Yam XT500.
The long term one has been an '81 Yam SR500 real-deal old-school cafe racer, my tribute bike to the Golden Age of the big Brit singles. At one time we both could do 'the ton'.....scary to think about now

paulz
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 19:42 - Edited by: paulz

GT. I have a soft spot for singles too, couple of Velocettes sitting here right now. But none with an interesting history like your 450. Mostly just found on road dead, as they say (or is that FORD?).

Here’s me and the wife about 1000 years ago, on a ride up at the great divide in Colorado. Funny story, we slogged that thing along at about 40 mph all day, everything passing us. Then on the way back down it finally had enough oats to pass a couple cars, over the double yellow. BOOM, got pulled over! After unloading her onto her wheelchair and seeing the old pile of crap (the bike not us) he gave us a break. Ran me for warrants of course like any out of stater.
413.jpeg
413.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 20:58

Wow! I never met anyone with a wheelchair on a bike! Cool. Did you travel by sidecar too?

I loved to watch the sidecar trials in europe. Well, any trials but the sidehack trials are something else. Motorcycles without a seat... how nutty can you get? As crazy as road course sidehack racers.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 00:33

That picture preceded sidecars by a few years. Got into them quite by accident when a friend came up with a body, made in UK at some point but languished to the point of corroded aluminum panels and trim. I had just the bike for it so I painted the panels black, refinished the wood and made a chassis. Still have it but not ridden in some years. Now we just ride that BMW hack. Never done any racing or off road, those guys are nuts as you said!
429.jpeg
429.jpeg
468.jpeg
468.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 00:39

So you got into JL's garage! Personal tour?

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 00:59

Yes. That was actually at NBC, we followed him in that Bentley to the Tonight Show taping that day. Been to his garage a few times, he was quite the bike/car nut. This was quite awhile ago, haven’t talked to him or seen him on TV in years.
464.jpeg
464.jpeg
158.jpeg
158.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 01:12

One of my other good friends sold him a Munch and delivered it. I helped Dave load it into the back of his Aerostar? van but couldn't make the trip as sidekick that time. I should have taken that week off work.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 12:38 - Edited by: paulz

Wow a Munch. Jay certainly collected rare stuff.

Back to my own paver collection, last week a friend and I did the back of the cabin, previously just dirt. Very nice now for barefoot laundry work, which I do here now only, free water and electricity, plus we are almost always here.

No danger of oil drips!
IMG_3320.jpeg
IMG_3320.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 3 Sep 2024 12:57

paulz
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 15:39 - Edited by: paulz

The Ford is now back in the usual spot, engine check light off. Kind of an interesting diagnosis, new to me anyway. Although it still ran ok, and waving an unlit torch around did nothing, we hooked it up to a ‘smoke machine’, roll around thing that spits out smoke, to the intake. Sure enough, smoke out from way down between the engine and fender. Turns out there was a dried out, cracked hose down there, something to do with the EVAP system, couldn’t even see it, much less touch it with my big shakey hands. Anyway replaced that, voila. Probably a common tool on today’s vehicles. In the old days we just listened for a whistle.

Better not leak.
IMG_3340.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Sep 2024 20:26

Whistle.....yeah....but ya gotta be able to hear

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.