Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Oil Stain Remover
. 1 . 2 . >>
paulz
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 21:57

I’m a bit bummed. First my truck had an engine leak, then the rear end, all over my beautiful pavers. I’ve tried Quickcrete Oil Stain Remover, gas, soap, propane torch… they’ve lightened up some but is there something else?
IMG_3286.jpeg
IMG_3286.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 22:20

I use purple power from dollar general. It works pretty good on grease and oil.

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 22:46

I've read that spray on oven cleaner works. Same with baking soda and powdered laundry detergent. Let soak wetted with water scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Rinse. Warm water if possible. Also have heard a good dish detergent. Detergents must be diluted with some water for the surfacants to be able to work.

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 22:49 - Edited by: ICC

I've read that spray on oven cleaner works. Same with baking soda and powdered laundry detergent. Let soak wetted with water scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Rinse. Warm water if possible. Also have heard a good dish detergent. Detergents must be diluted with some water for the surfactant in any detergent cleaner to be able to work. Good luck!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 23:51

Paul, you need Toyotas.

How about some Castrol Super Clean, let it soak in a bit.

ICC
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 00:35

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Paul, you need Toyotas.

I can't help but agree.

My advanced mileage '06 Tacoma has never dripped any oil from anywhere, or leaked any other fluids. Nor has it ever needed an engine oil top up. It uses less than a pint between changes.

Mind you my '06 Honda Civic Si has never leaked any fluids either.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 00:51

That's just marking its territory. I had a old ford tractor that when in use and even shortly after I shut it off it would leak so much oil I started putting used oil in it.

Really dry dirt swept into the stain and even leaving it there to drive over helps...and its free.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 01:53

Newish oil removal has been pretty decent for me with gasoline. Don't smoke doing this!
Old, dirty oil pretty much stays a dirty spot

Curly
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 02:06

Engine degreaser. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes and then hose it off.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 11:11

Thanks guys. Got a can of oven cleaner right here, I’ll try that first today. Also probably some of the other ideas down the hill at the shop, if not back at the grid house and nearby stores.

I’m not crazy about this ‘99 Ford with 200k but I will say the rear end leak was caused by me, backing into a culvert and denting the diff cover a month ago. I don’t remember what caused the leak up front, something else I muffed most likely. Anyway both have been repaired, no longer dripping.

On another note, last night we were at a town bbq and the wife got to sweet talking the owners of a paving company. They are going to come out and give me an estimate on paving our steep driveway. If that ever happens I can kiss these 12mpg gallon 4x4s goodbye, get a little 4 banger for cabin commute, maybe even, dare I say, an electric car.

FishHog
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 11:43

I’ve had good luck with brake cleaner in the same situation

travellerw
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 16:11

Oven cleaner is usually just lye. So I would worry that it might damage the paver.

I use kitty litter and leave it on the stain for a week. I walk over it and grind it in every so often. I then sweep it up and use a combination of dish soap and laundry soap with a stiff broom to scrub. It usually gets rid of most of it.
(p.s. You need to watch the weather as you don't want the kitty litter in the rain).

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 26 Aug 2024 12:20

Quoting: FishHog
# Posted: 25 Aug 2024 11:43
Reply Quote

I’ve had good luck with brake cleaner in the same situation

This has worked for me too....be quick about using a doubled up rag to blot the area or the brake cleaner will dry out.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Aug 2024 12:59 - Edited by: paulz

I tried some brake clean earlier, one of the few things I have here, without much luck. But I’m headed to the city today, will pick up a new can and try as suggested. Dang stuff is about 5 bucks a can now, and I have a lot of spots! Another issue is these pavers are porous, not flat and polished like a garage floor, and the dirty oil has had time to soak down in. Also have some Comet here, will try that this morning.

Again headed to the city today, will pick up the other things suggested.

DaveBell
# Posted: 26 Aug 2024 14:39

When I was in the Army, we used cheap cat litter, just plain dry clay. Grind it in with a heavy boot and sweep it up. Worst case, you could flip the pavers over.

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 15:38

Quoting: DaveBell
When I was in the Army, we used cheap cat litter, just plain dry clay. Grind it in with a heavy boot and sweep it up. Worst case, you could flip the pavers over.

You just have to make sure its "clay" based kitty litter. Some of the cheap litters now adays are not made with clay, but can often be recycled paper.

The clay in kitty litter is mostly just Bentonite. Its has been used in the oilfield for over 100 years to clean up spills. The longer you leave it on, the more oil is pulled out. However, it can be a PIA to watch the weather so it doesn't get wet.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Aug 2024 16:45

I brought stuff out yesterday from the grid house. The sweep stuff says diatomatious earth, whatever that is. Also some epsom salt and cleaners I had around. Just waiting for it to warm up.
IMG_3296.jpeg
IMG_3296.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 16:13

Well after applying the various things, particularly grinding in the absorbent with a boot, they are looking at least passable. Dave mentioned flipping them over, unfortunately they are not textured or edge beveled on the other side.

There are a few various spots elsewhere, from the cart, other cars etc.. Got me wondering, what about oiling the whole thing, that ever done? So I looked it up, things like tung oil, linseed oil are in fact used to coat concrete. They even make concrete stains etc.. More about it here:
https://www.instructables.com/Concrete-Finishes/?amp_page=true

ICC
# Posted: 28 Aug 2024 21:50

Quoting: paulz
They even make concrete stains etc..

I've seen a few slab home floors that were stained concrete. Some have looked pretty good. I have no idea how colorfast the stains are in outdoors situations.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2024 22:49

Whatever ya do, imo Don't use tung or linseed oil.
Ive seen a few vids online of folks using 'drain oil' on wood decks, an old time treatment and easy to 'touch up. Im thinking it would work on your stuff too.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2024 00:35

Try some deck sealer on the pavers, then the oil wont soak it, be all sealed up. Then you can keep the non Toyotas.

DaveBell
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 00:57

I don't have any oil stains in my driveway. I fix my oil leaks as soon as they occur.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 01:33

I didn't until I paid a place to change my car oil

paulz
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 10:16 - Edited by: paulz

I don't have any oil stains in my driveway. I fix my oil leaks as soon as they occur.

Must not be a Toyota since leaks never occur on those.

Lately I’ve actually been driving my old Chevy Blazer while the newer Ford I replaced it with has an Engine Check Light on. Doesn’t leak a drop but just sits in the dirt now usually. Probably should have stuck with that, no check lights, no computer, sensors.. Many admirers when it goes to town, but it is a gas hog, no air bag..
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 12:32

Compared to the price of new(er) vehicles, used or new, the old gas hogs are a bargain. Yeah, it is scary to watch the pump roll but each fill up is an incremental 'payment' compared to the big money (up front and/or the monthly) of the newer stuff.
And as you say, far less complex.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 14:06 - Edited by: ICC

Must not be a Toyota since leaks never occur on those.

To be fair I think that a lot of modern vehicles and machinery do not leak fluids as much as many older ones. Not just because they are older, but because of the technology. (We have much better crank seals for example.) Everything used to drip oil in the 60s and 70s. Especially British motorcycles, or at least most of the ones I owned. My 64 Ducati was drip free; first bike I didn't have to clean up after. I have no proof but it does seem that as time has marched onwards manufacturers made big improvements in seals, gaskets and machining parts that are supposed to mate tightly..

There are a couple of slight dips on the highway between me and town. Just enough of a bump when you cross it to shake any loose drops of oil off the vehicle. Those low spots are still well marked so there are still a lot of leaky things running around.

paulz
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 15:36 - Edited by: paulz

Agree on the Brit bike thing, I still have too many of those I can’t bring myself to selling, even though their value drops yearly.

As I wrote earlier the reason this 99 Ford stained my pavers was 1) I passed my gate one day (it’s pretty well hid by the trees, even for me!), pulled over a couple driveways later, put in in reverse and backing up to turn around hit a concrete culvert denting the rear end cover. New gasket fixed that, thank goodness that’s all that happened. 2) The leak up front was before my hospital stay so hard to remember but I think one of the oil lines that runs to the radiator (engine or trans fluid, don’t remember) leaked right at the radiator connection, maybe a radiator replacement at some point. It does have about 200k on it. The engine check light that’s on says it’s running lean, vacuum leak, fuel pump or filter, computer sensor… Runs fine but a little nervous about driving it. I bought a new filter but it takes some fancy tool to get to the connector clamps inside the steel braided hose. Old worm hose clamps are a thing of the past apparently.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 17:52

Agree on the Brit bike thing, I still have too many of those I can’t bring myself to selling, even though their value drops yearly.

I have one remaining bike, a 73 Ducati 450 SCR, european version. It last ran in 79 or 80 . I parked it after changing oil, draining gas and so on. Who knows what the thing is like under the sheet and all the dirt now. Somehow I never got back to it. I loved that bike but something newer came along. The engine was superbly engineered, which is why I kept it, but some other things sucked...

Maybe I need a project? Or my head examined?

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 18:07

My 2000 Kaw W650 is the 'Triumph' that doesn't leak....sure great after having my '63 Triumph TR6. Id reluctantly let it go because sadly I can't ride anymore. My deer/mc accident in Aug '23 and my heart shutdown last Jan has left me wobbly. Im just glad I survived both and they still let me drive a car.

paulz
# Posted: 2 Sep 2024 18:16

Oh, those are nice! Never had one, just a couple of twins. Only thing I’ve ridden lately is this side hack, can’t fall off! I do have a mini bike at the cabin, only fallen off once. Hope I can ride on the road again one day.
343.jpeg
343.jpeg
519.jpeg
519.jpeg
392.jpeg
392.jpeg

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.