Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What Price Good Nights Sleep
gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 21:57

For years at the cabins we have used a large futon couch/bed....even had a $350 custom made thicker & softer futon made. No real joy
Now in our 70's we decided to get a new foundation mattress for home and took the older one to the cabin. Bought a simple platform frame off Amazon (2 days delivery!), think Chinese made Ikea type. It came well packed in a long dbl box, great styro padding and well labeled pack of fasteners and tools; an easy 40min assembly from cutting the box tape to setting the mattress on (it too a foundation type).
Feels like home
Anybody want a futon couch/bed?

ICC
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 23:19

Futons are sometimes a good idea when the convertibility from sofa to bed is wanted, IMO. We had one in a spare room as something for guests. I think they are ideal for guest use as I find them too hard for long term use. A futon can provide an incentive for guests to move on.

My cabin bed uses a Sealy queen size mattress we got at Costco. Rated firm. It is placed on a plywood platform I made. No box spring. Space for storage bins under.

At home I built a king size platform and used the same mattress model in a king size.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2024 23:37

This new one is the nicest mattress we've ever bought, it also a Sealy Q firm, 10yr warrantee and the 1yr test.
We figure it is the last one we will buy.
Pricey but why leave it all for the 'kids' to spend on whatever they want

ICC
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 00:06 - Edited by: ICC

Pricey that provides a great sleep is worth it, IMO.

Here it is and it's not that I didn't make it up. Rather I prepped the bed for use tonight after I had dinner.

A little tired after pounding in a dozen t-posts today.

Dinner was spaghetti with asparagus and parmesan cheese.
Queen bed
Queen bed
Relaxing after dinner
Relaxing after dinner

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 00:30

I have used Simmons Beauty Rest for over 24 years. Probably similar to the Sealy. Firm with 1 inch pad built in (not the pillow top). Most comfortable ever. Firm for good back support, pad for comfort. I have a king in the home base for the wife and I and a twin in the van for the mountain. I had a futon once, never again.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 02:11

I think the one from home, now at cabin, is a Simmons, mid grade at the time, and it has lived longer than the warrantee.
Yeah, I gotta have a firm foundation and soft top to conform for my side sleep.

Nobadays
# Posted: 24 Aug 2024 13:22

I absolutely hate shopping for a mattress! We have had such poor luck buying conventional mattresses. We had in the past tried to stay mid-grade/price, always name brand mattresses. Seems they bellied out after a couple of years.

5 years ago we bought one of the "bed in a box" mattresses and haven't looked back... love it! We like firm with a bit of cushion to the top as I'm a side sleeper. And... I turn over a dozen times a night so "memory foam" doesn't work. We did the research and bought a Tuft and Needle queen. It has no memory so when you turn over there is no hole left. It is firm but form fits so no pressure points hips or shoulder, and has a carbon "something or other" mixed into the upper layer that dissipates heat so it's never hot like most foam type mattresses. 2 years ago we replace the mattress here at the cabin with the same one. Love it!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.