Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Well Pump Priming Bolt Anti-Seize
thoma011
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 16:48

Hi All,
I have to replace my well pump this year due to the brass priming bolt getting stuck and shearing off when we tried to open it to prime the pump. We drain our cabin completely, including the well pump, pressure tank and pipes before we leave for winter, so it had been sitting for 4 mos.

I'm thinking that this year, I'll use some anti-seize on the priming bolt so I don't get into this issue again, but wanted to see if anyone else has done this. I'm reading that copper-based should be best for applications with water. Bolt is brass, housing is iron. I may also try to replace the brass bolt with steel to avoid the shearing again.

Thanks!

Fanman
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 17:13

Replacing the plug with a small valve might be a better solution.

FishHog
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 12:10

I used Teflon tape on mine 12 years ago and it’s been fine every year since.

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 12:21

Replacing pump for a sheared priming bolt seems extreme to me....how about drilling and using an 'easy out' or such to get the stub out?

ICC
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 12:55 - Edited by: ICC

It's brass, so it's easy to drill and then try to extract.

If the threads in the unit are damaged is it possible to re-tap it?

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 13:51

If that works I think Id put a stub on the pump with a cap to turn off for priming; that way the stub always stays on the pump body.

thoma011
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 21:59

Tried that too, but from what I can guess, it's corroded together. Fortunately, I try my best to follow the "if it's critical, have two" and "two is one, one is none" rule, so I had a back up to get me through the last trip, with plan to replace next time I go up.

thoma011
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 22:00

I appreciate this idea too! I think this may also be my next solution. Thanks!

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2024 11:24

I wouldnt be useing anything like anti sneeze on any type of potable water system.

If you want to future proof it and make it easier to drain put a ball valve on it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Jul 2024 12:26

I would think that the yellow (thicker) teflon tape for gas fittings would be good?

thoma011
# Posted: 4 Sep 2024 20:52

UPDATE: Thanks for all the replies everyone! I ended up using heavy duty teflon tape for the new pump's priming bolt, and FINALLY had someone from the manufacturer get back to me about a replacement bolt for the old pump so I can refurbish that and use as back up. Appreciate the input!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.