Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / SS Propane Hose on 20lb Tank Freezes: Stops Working
geobuild
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 14:02

Hi All,

I recently switched from 1lb propane tanks to a 20lb tank for my Coleman stove. The stainless steel line freezes where it connects to the stove regulator and the flame begins to fluctuate and then goes out.

Temperatures were in the high 70's with 70-80% relative humidity.

I understand why the outside is freezing up. Is there anything I can do to keep the inside open?

Thanks.

travellerw
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 15:24

Is the tank sitting upright? You should not get a freeze up like that unless you are feeding liquid propane (i.e. tank is upside down).

geobuild
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 15:59

travellerw

The tank is upright, next to the stove.....

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 16:30

Then next question, is the tank full?

I used to have this problem when I worked off of 20lb tanks with torches. But it was the tank that would ice up. As it gets colder, there is less pressure to work with. As it gets closer to empty, it also has less working pressure. Large residential tanks are not emptied completely, before filling to maintain pressure.
I often set the 20lb tank in a water bath to keep it from freezing up.

Tim

travellerw
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 16:50

Tim asked the right question. Is the tank full? I have seen that happen with a tank that was overfull. Essentially pushing liquid propane into the line. That problem goes away once the tank is emptied a little bit.

So if I understand this right. The regulator is on the stove. On the opposite end of the hose from the tank?

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 16:59

Now that I think about it, you might get away with wrapping the area that freezes up with a wet rag, while in use. This will keep it from freezing up to some extent.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 17:12

A photo showing all the pieces and the way they are connected might help.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 17:14

Quoting: travellerw
tank full? I have seen that happen with a tank that was overfull. Essentially pushing liquid propane into the line. That problem goes away once the tank is emptied a little bit

I’ve had that happen a couple times. Cracking the bleed screw for a minute usually fixes it. Maybe overfilled, or could it be bumpy steep ride up my driveway 25 miles away? The filler guy usually cracks that bleed screw while it’s filling, then shuts it off when full, maybe he sees liquid coming out?

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 17:56 - Edited by: gcrank1

The stove is 'high pressure' (higher than the typical 11" water column/1ish psi?) thus has its regulator input for the little 1# disposable cylinder at the stove. I think the high pressure for that type stove runs about 10psi? The Very High and dangerous cylinder pressure MUST be regulated before appliance.
The adapter line for the large cylinders has the big spin on knob for the tank OPD valve and a male fitting to screw into the stove regulator just like the 1#ers do. Trying to run a 'high pressure' stove or cooker with a std. reg. and line results in a very low flame. BTDT

geobuild
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 18:17

Thank you everyone for their questions and suggestions. I'll be heading back to the cabin in two weeks and will try the remedies.

The 20 lb tank was a fresh trade from the supplier so it could have been overfilled. If I continue with the problems I'll take pics of the install and post them.

Thanks!

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 19:15

Fwiw, around here all the 'exchange' tanks are under filled by 3/4 gal and now about $22 USD). The only way I get a fair deal and full fill is to go to a real bulk fill supplier and pay per gal.
If you have a true full fill you might try running a gas grill or something to 'burn some off' without wasting it.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 20:15

@geobuild, Did you use an adapter or hose that was purchased or something that was assembled from parts?

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 20:18

The fact that there is freezing usually indicates that liquid propane is changing from a liquid to a gas at that point. That produces the intense cold. When liquids evaporate, or change from liquid to gaseous form there is a large cooling effect.

geobuild
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 22:57

ICC: this is the hose I'm using......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081R6NQ3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF 8&th=1

ICC
# Posted: 19 Jul 2024 00:23 - Edited by: ICC

I have used a similar hose, same type of connectors, and never had any hint of frost at or near the connection to the OEM regulator assembly that connects to the stove.

If by exchanging a 20# cylinder you mean one of those places where you pay and swap I doubt the tank is too full. As gcrank1 mentioned those are short filled; usually about 17 lbs maximum.

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Jul 2024 09:54

I also have a hose like that for a buddy heater and havent had any frosting.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Jul 2024 13:19

I am curious how this sorts out as Ive been thinking of getting one of those lines.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Jul 2024 14:20 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
Ive been thinking of getting one of those lines.

This anomaly is no reason to hesitate, IMO. As stated above I ave had great success with them. My old bus and my present conversion van have similar hose which tap into the high pressure side of the built-in ASME propane system. They power outside grills or campstoves. No problems ever. PLus I have one for a portable heater that is the same type as the one in the amazon link. I don't understand what the issue is with the one the OP has.

They are very nice if it is not inconvenient to have a 20# cylinder taking up space. And also nice to still be able to use a 1# cylinder if you have to.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Jul 2024 14:38

What is tempting me is I have two 5#' cylinders, kind of a Goldie Locks size.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.