Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New Water Well
drb777
# Posted: 24 Jun 2024 19:16

After 16 years of hauling water and procrastinating long enough, I've lined up a rig to drill an estimated 160 ft well. They quoted a price of $30/ft for drilling/and casing the well. And a total estimate of about $6800 w/ pump, tubing etc. (no pressure tank/switch).
I'm fortunate to be located above a prolific aquifer called the Vamoosa Ada, with flow rates in my section averaging 10 to 20 gpm of high quality potable water. I'm on a waiting list that is said to be 2-3 months. Apparently, there is lots of demand in my area with many new homesteaders around.

spencerin
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 01:06

That's worth the cost and the wait.....

drb777
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 02:22

The drillers called and came by yesterday, and attached a flag to my marker. Now I'm expecting the rig within the next few days.
BTW, no we didn't try 'witching' the chosen spot. But I did check the aquifer maps and data tables.

travellerw
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 02:51

Quoting: drb777
'witching'

LOL.... A driller I talked to said I could literally throw something in the air and he will drill where it lands. %90 of the time he will hit water.

Witching isn't a thing..

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 12:03

Where are you located? Under $7k isnt bad for a well.

drb777
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 12:54

I'm in Creek County, NE Oklahoma, about 35 miles West of Tulsa.

drb777
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 12:59

Aquifer map
aquifer map
aquifer map

drb777
# Posted: 3 Jul 2024 14:15

We ended up drilling to 180' and tested at almost 9 GPM. I won't get it completed for about a week, but the hard/risky part is finished. It'll sure be nice not having to haul water. They told me they recommend using 1/2 HP pumps only to 100', so I can't use an existing pump I have. But a 3/4 HP pump & 1" tubing will soon be installed.
Water Well Drilling Rig
Water Well Drilling Rig

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Jul 2024 14:44 - Edited by: Steve_S

Just keep in mind that a New Well will have a lot of sediment until all of it flushes out - usually about 6 months of daily normal usage, longer if not used daily.

I Very Strongly recommend at least a decent Sediment Filter.

I have 1 of these in my Pumphouse right "after" the 50 Gal Pressure tank inline before going to the house pipe. https://rainfresh.ca/product/high-flow-filter-housing/

Then I have a Fine Filter in-house (at entry point) with 5 Micron Filters:
https://rainfresh.ca/product/whole-house-filter-with-bypass-valve/#tab-product_editor _12294_tab

I use THIS Activated Carbon Filter in the house because it finer & better than the "wound filter". I don't have a Chlorine issue ;)
https://rainfresh.ca/product/chlorine-removal-filter-cartridge/

paulz
# Posted: 3 Jul 2024 14:48

Nice. Do you have or have plans for an above ground holding tank?

drb777
# Posted: 3 Jul 2024 15:59

Quoting: paulz
Do you have or have plans for an above ground holding tank?

Since I already have a 300 gal storage tank and pressure tank inside the cabin, my plan is to simply refill the tank periodically from the well, and use the tank for settling purposes. I may never actually use well water for consumption. (I don't live at the cabin full time.) But I'll certainly keep in mind some filtration as I see just how "clean" the well water becomes.
The 5-inch "slotted liner" on bottom is rated at 20 microns (extremely narrow slots), so after initial clean-up, I'm not expecting a significant solids/sand production. But only time will tell.
To fill the annular space, we used 6 sx of pea gravel, followed by 6/10 gravel (sand) up to 22'. Then Bentonite chips from 22' to 12'. And finally cement from 12' to the surface. 'Not sure if this is standard elsewhere, but the drillers said it was for them. (I supplied the pea gravel since I had some, and it tends to "fall" downhole much faster than sand.)

ICC
# Posted: 3 Jul 2024 16:08

drb777
# Posted: 24 Jul 2024 16:57

My final out-of-pocket cost was $6900, using my own submersible pump. As shown below, the hook-up is completely manual, not currently tied into the cabin's tank & pressure system (but could be at some point). The bedrock is so close to the surface, that it's almost impossible to dig a ditch below "frost depth". The power is from a dedicated 20 amp circuit. When running the pump & tubing, we felt a static fluid level of about 80' in depth, or 100' of hydrostatic head above the aquifer. (An indicated reservoir pressure of about 45 psi.)
Water Well-manual set-up
Water Well-manual set-up

paulz
# Posted: 24 Jul 2024 22:03

Nice! Even nicer not having to haul jugs around, and use whatever you want, when you want.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Jul 2024 00:52

At the Ace Hardware this week I picked up this water quality test kit for $10. Not that need it, my well water looks fine and I’m not barfing or anything, just curious. They have another one for 20, but you have to send in the samples along with another 40. I figured this one was good enough for starters.
IMG_3108.jpeg
IMG_3108.jpeg

Nate R
# Posted: 30 Jul 2024 00:27

Nice, thanks for sharing your specs and cost!

-Nate

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.