Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Domestic RM760 propane fridge safe?
spencerburton
# Posted: 9 May 2024 18:59

hey all.

new to the forums. Ive had an off grid camp in northern Ontario for a few years now. I run an older Domestic RM760 propane fridge IN the camp. Ive used it and everything seems fine. But I've started bringing my family up more and more and the fact that the fridge is IN the camp concerns me. I don't understand how there is no exhaust on the fridge and where does all the burnt propane go? I have carbon monoxide detectors near the fridge and propane detectors and they have never gone off. I'm just so paranoid about bringing my family up there and killing everyone during the night. The most I've ran the fridge is a week at a time and every now and again I get the faintest smell of propane but nothing serious.

does anyone have any information on these old fridges and does anyone run one? any issues I should be concerned with?

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 May 2024 19:59

Here is a link to a manual you can download. URL

We had an older propane fridge, can't remember the brand, but I know it would soot up in the exhaust stack and if any soot dropped on the burner it would indeed put a great deal of CO in the air. It would set off our alarm fortunately... only happened once! A regular cleaning a never had a issue.

spencerburton
# Posted: 9 May 2024 20:19

thank you for this!

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 May 2024 21:02

Most CO detectors don't give me much assurance; maybe they are better than nothing but....
A while back I was looking for a new one as ours has some age on it (they do age out) and found the Forensics Detectors, Low Level and Fast CO Alarm, I think it may be worth you taking a look at.
We bought the mdl FD-J001, runs on AA bats and is portable; we have it in the house and can take to the cabin as needed.
It hasn't gone off yet but when I test it I KNOW it will get attention if it does!
Btw, it will detect at far lower CO levels than most and trigger sooner; all good things in my opinion.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 May 2024 13:06

If you have your cabin insured and anything should happen regarding your propane refrigerator you won’t be covered it’s not CSA approved because it does not vent to the outside.

rodneywatkins91
# Posted: 31 Jul 2024 20:19

I couldn't agree more about the limitations of standard CO detectors. I'm actually using the same Forensics Detectors Low Level and Fast CO Alarm (FD-J001) that you mentioned, and I've been really impressed with it.
The low-level detection and quick response time are exactly what drew me to this model. It's reassuring to know it can pick up CO levels that other detectors might miss. The portability is a big plus too - I've found it handy for checking different areas of the house and even when I'm working on projects in the garage.
Like you, I haven't had any real alarms yet, but the test function is reassuringly loud. It's given me a lot more peace of mind compared to my old detector.
Have you found any other features particularly useful? I'm always curious to hear how others are using these detectors.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.