Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Firewood time of year again...
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 23:42

The cleaned, vacuumed stove...
VC Aspen
VC Aspen

ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 23:46 - Edited by: ICC

If anyone has questions, or needs clarification, just ask

I had a helper to hold the bucket. I also have an idea for making a pair of small brackets the bucket could be clipped to.

Note: the black telescoping pipe was taken outside and laid on the ground. The brush was then run up and down the pipe while being rapidly spun by the drill motor. Then the chimney was reassembled.

First fire in the morning. Today I used some propane as well as some excess solar electric to operate a portable electric heater. .

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2024 23:57 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: gcrank1
I can't swing an axe and take the impact anymore , that hand rig would work for me since we don't need to split much wood. I think I could figure out other uses for a horizontal press too

You can have this manual one, just stop by and grab it. In fact, you can have the gas one too if you bring a pintle hitch. Actually thought about taping my sawzall blade to that manual splitter lever. A USB powered splitter!

One thing I can still do pretty well, cause it takes little vision, hearing or brains, is swing an axe 360 degrees over the top of my head to split wood. Did hit my big toe the other day, that was painfull.
IMG_3362.jpeg
IMG_3362.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 00:35

Im Impressed Paul! Keep it up, never know when it'll be gone.
I'll be sure to stop by iffn Im ever out there

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 13:30 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: ICC
Along with needing firewood on hand it helps to start the fall season with a freshly cleaned wood stove, along with a cleaned chimney.

Good advice. I don’t bother with stove cleaning, use it almost nightly, just shovel out the ashes. But I should have a better look at the pipe, that I’ve never brushed out. I can climb on my roof OK, replaced the stove cap last winter, tree limb hit the old one. It looked ok in there, under 1/4” of soot but don’t really know. If there are woods/fire additives that help clean things out I’m all for that. I could use a brush and stick like you did, from the roof, straight shot all the way..

Nobadays
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 14:46

Paul.... send a brush down that chimney! The creosote, the stuff that burns in your chimney is not really the "fluffy" stuff you see when you look down the pipe... though it is/will. The creosote that is the problem is the layer stuck the the chimney pipe under that fluffy stuff! If your wood has/is wet or slightly green you can bet there is a build-up.

Chemical cleaners like "Red Devil" which I think is a phosphate compound, helps keep your chimney cleaner by breaking the bond between the creosote and the chimney. But it isn't a substitute for an annual chimney cleaning with a brush.

I would also recommend for anyone with a wood stove to have a box of FireEx sitting beside it. EverythingI have read about it says it is very effective in extinguishing chimneyfires.
HERE IT IS

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 15:29

Forget the pole to scrub the brush, just tie a weight on the brush bottom and a rope on the top; waayyy less trouble. Don't forget the bucket below to catch the fallout.
The hard part might be finding a young guy to go up there, us 'mature' cabineers aint supposed to be on roofs......

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 16:03

Good idea. I found a wire brush in my junk, rope and buckets I got. Warm or cold?
IMG_3365.jpeg
IMG_3365.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 18:59

Quoting: paulz
I don’t bother with stove cleaning, use it almost nightly, just shovel out the ashes.

I vacuum the interior of it out once a year. There are air passages under the grate that allow air flow from the rear fresh air intake {with thermostatic control inlet}flap} to the front of the stove. The air comes out the front end of the grate to feed the fire from below.

Above the fire box there is a second passage which has the exhaust gases sweep through a secondary reburn chamber and back to the chimney exit collar. A strong industrial grade workshop vac can draw out the debris that could otherwise build up and perhaps slow the smoke draft.

If I do that I never have any draft issues and the thermo air inlet works pretty good.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 19:03

The hard part might be finding a young guy to go up there, us 'mature' cabineers aint supposed to be on roofs...

Which is why I am trying to make this "no-roof-access-required" thing work. I don't have any balance issues, but I do have people around me who worry more than I do. Life is easier if I can avoid or sidestep their concerns.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2024 23:18

Forget the pole to scrub the brush, just tie a weight on the brush bottom and a rope on the top; waayyy

Whew, done. 5 times on the friggin roof for various tools. Weight on the brush didn’t work, too much friction, brush must be for an 8” pipe. Had to do the pvc pipe trick, sure scrubbed it clean. Test fire burning..

Quoting: ICC
I vacuum the interior of it out once a year. There are air passages under the grate that allow air flow from the rear fresh air intake {with thermostatic control inlet}flap} to the front of the stove. The air comes out the front end of the grate to feed the fire from below

Mine has a removable tray that catches whatever falls through the firebox holes. Open the intake door, slide out the tray.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 00:27

Quoting: paulz
Mine has a removable tray that catches whatever falls through the firebox holes. Open the intake door, slide out the tray

For ash removal, yes, same. Ashes collect in the tray. There is a separate "passage" for combustion air from rear inlet to right up front. Ash can collect in there and slow the airflow. Not a big deal as once a year with a vacuum works for me. There is an plate that can be removed to expose the opening for brushing out but a screwdriver is required. A strong vac sucks the ash out fine, though. That passage delivers combustion air at the front so the logs can burn front to back. No burning, or not much at the rear end until the front has burned back.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 01:11

Ok thanks, I’ll have look.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 01:52

It's probably unique to my stove. For EPA regs.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.