Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Old Chainsaws
<< . 1 . 2 .
paulz
# Posted: 24 Jul 2024 14:27

You stud you! I haven’t actually tried this new (to me) Oregon sharpener yet. I have used my old bench mount sharpener a bunch. Usually I do 2-3 chains at a whack, and always have a spare at the ready when in the middle of a job. It knocks them out very quickly. Most of the time I’m just cutting redwood, butter knife hardness. Sometimes I cut ground.

Currently though I have all my winter tree cleanup done, firewood stack is full, and actually gone without the wood stove for a week or two of this heat wave. This winter I’m sure I’ll be giving more effort into chainsaw work and spend some time trying various methods. Hand file is a great idea, I’ll get one now.
IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 2 Aug 2024 13:23 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: paulz
hat’s what we have now, 20something F550 4x4

Here’s the rig that replaced the old truck that lives with me now.

Still doing what I can to pitch in for the department, this week I donated some redwood I had milled years ago for my cabin deck, to replace the rotting sidewalk at the firehouse.
IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg

Bruces
# Posted: 7 Aug 2024 04:34

Paulz ,your old saws don’t start when warm because the crank seals are done and are sucking air .Its very common with old 2 stroke equipment that doesn’t get used for long periods .

paulz
# Posted: 7 Aug 2024 13:19

Very interesting Bruce. That’s crossed my mind too but never read anything to back it up. Thanks for bringing it up.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Aug 2024 14:06

Gonna have to try to remember that!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.