Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rafter question
Ditchmonkey
# Posted: 10 May 2016 15:54

I'm building an 8x12 cottage with shed-style roof. I'll have 10 foot rafters spanning the 8 foot width. What I can't seem to figure out is how do you get an extra rafter on each end so that you have an overhang? I hope this makes sense my roof terminology is non-existent.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 May 2016 18:23 - Edited by: MtnDon

something like this..... 2 illustrations that should get the idea across.
overhang
overhang
lookout
lookout

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 May 2016 23:19 - Edited by: bldginsp

What Don shows there is what is used 99% of the time with residential construction. There are alternatives- depending how fancy you wanna get.

One approach is to use a beam at your top plate under the rafters, and extend that beam out far enough to pick up the outboard rafter.

Another approach is triangulated knee braces.

Here are a few pics I pulled off the web to illustrate.
Knee brace bolted to wall
Knee brace bolted to wall
Extended top plate beams
Extended top plate beams
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Don_P
# Posted: 11 May 2016 08:23

Do not copy those examples, they are too prone to rot and can lead water back deeper into the wall. This detail is mostly out of the craftsman era and has largely been abandoned but does show up often. A better way to do this bracketing is to tuck it behind the fascia. If the style is just too tempting cover the tops of the exposed timbers with copper or similar flashing. You'll see that flashing on the exposed beamwork on the Greene and Greene style house above. Generally, not worth poking them out into the weather.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.