Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / have you used a DIY spray foam insulation kit?
WY_mark
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 02:53

I'm curious to know if any of you have used a spray foam insulation kit on your cabin? we're up against some bitter wind and cold and getting ready to build a 20x30 from scratch. it's an extra expense for sure, but I'm very curious to know your results both in application and performance if you've used any of the DIY spray foam kits.
thanks!
Mark

groingo
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 09:35

I haven't used one personally but do know that it is not cheap even for a do it yourself project.

The key ingredients to make it work best are a minimum of six inch walls and high density closed cell foam.

The spray gun is also critical as it must put it on evenly, other than that it should be a rather simple.

Another alternative would be closed cell foam sheeting where you simply cut and fit into the opening, a lot less hassle too!

GomerPile
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 11:51 - Edited by: GomerPile

I did a little research on this a while back. It has great R value per inch (actually some of the specs are a little too good). Its airtight and a retatds moisture. But its really expensive.

As mentioned, you *must* use enough thickness so that the dew point is contained within the insulation or you get condensation. Most places thats at least 2-3 inches.

IMO foam sheeting on the outside of the structure is a better option but again you need enough so that the dew point is outside the wall. For the wall cavaties use blown in or fiberglass.

justincasei812
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 12:48

My ex father in-law did spray insulation on the side. One thing that he always said:

Yes it's expensive but worth it. Not living there all the time might outweigh putting it due to not reaping the benefits from it all the time.

It can be really expensive if you do not know what you are doing and there is a lot of waste. I went with him a few times and you really have to know when to stop spraying or you will be cutting a lot of the over spray off. The other thing is make sure you have everything you need or could ever need in the walls before you spray.

My thought might be is to put in the sheets of high density cell foam and seal around the areas with the spray foam that the performed stuff could not fit into. This would also seal everything from drafts as well.

larry
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 19:55

i look into spray foam 3 years ago. it would have cost more for me to do it myself than it would to pay a pro. we are talking about 400sq. ft. 5 inches thick for $700.00. that was $53.00 less than the diy kit. but i decided to use foam sheeting instead.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.