Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Leveling question
jrbarnard
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 16:15

Okay.. in my attempt to figure a way to make my cabin plans 'level'...I had an idea, but need to float this past folks...

Instead of hiring someone to try to cut a level area into limestone rock.. I figured to do what everyone else does and use concrete blocks.. however, still leaves shims etc for it to be level.

So.. I had an idea: what if I took the cylindrical formed cardboard tubes that are used for protecting or shielding posts and cut those off at the right height I need at each place I want to add a support.. and then cill it with concrete.

Would that be a good support?

I was thinking I would be able to cut them off at the right height that would keep the frame level so I would not have to worry about what to do to level everything...

The question to me would be how stable it would be.. round blocks vs rectangle ones.

Ideas?

I was thinking of adding one every 6-8 ft.

R

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 18:13

It would be ok if you drilled into the rock and epoxied in some vertical rebar to tie the concrete posts and the existing rock together.. Probably wouldn't pass a modern engineering inspection, but should be more than adequate in the real world. And less expensive than the other method. Wait for Mtn Don, though....
Foundation.jpg
Foundation.jpg

jrbarnard
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 20:58

Also, I am talking making 6" blocks, not anything really higher than that. This is so I can use a leveling setup rather than just cement "cinder" blocks as most people use.. so.. not sure if drilling in rebar is really that big a deal when you figure most people simply set the cabins on top of cement blocks alone.

R

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 21:06

The first question from an engineer would be to ask if the rock was really a very large contiguous chunk, something that would qualify as bedrock and extending down below frost level. I know that would be a first question because that's what the engineer I talked to about a similar thing asked. He also said that big boulders that are laying there don't really count.

It was, and his advice was then to cut or hammer out a hollow that was larger at the bottom than the top. Clean all the dust and debris from that pocket. Use those "keys" as the bottom anchor, form and brace the columns, add rebar and concrete.

In the real world of small cabins the solution may not need to be so elaborate, but that really does depend on the nature of the rock, climate, cabin size and permits, if any.

If you want to try the drilling route it would be better to drill at an angle and bend the rebar ends to suit and end up with the long legs as near to vertical as possible. If epoxying it is very important to have a clean dust and debris free hole. There are special tools for this and for injecting the epoxy into the hole bottom.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 22:06

angle
Quoting: MtnDon
If you want to try the drilling route it would be better to drill at an angle and bend the rebar ends to suit and end up with the long legs as near to vertical as possible.

If you drill an angle, make sure it is opposite to the slope angle...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.