Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ponderosa Pine Logs
AYP1909
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 15:35

After several months of finding a log buyer, wasting time with 3 different loggers, and obtaining a forest practices permit, it has become evident that the value of harvested trees to the landowner is hardly worth the effort of cutting and hauling the trees to the mill. So, I am curious if there is anybody out there who is thinking of building a log cabin in Northeastern Washington State and will be looking for good 6" to 10" logs. I am not certain what the value of the logs might be but, at this point, if it does not cost me anything and I can get my cabin site cleared I would be willing to consider offers.
Please let me know your interest.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 16:15

I cant tell if you are looking to buy or sell logs by your post???

AYP1909
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 17:02

Sell or trade to somone who is looking for logs.

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 10:17

The logs I've bought have been $2-$4/lineal foot, cut and in the log yard. Delivery is extra. The lower price was smaller logs, like up to 8-10" butts, larger logs were more.

Don't know what they are worth standing, but trransport is the big issue if you arent going to use them on the site. That's where a logger is of value, they can transport.

You don't want to use them yourself?

AYP1909
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 10:57

Malamute, I will use some logs for our entrance gate and for a pole barn but we were looking at removing 65,000 board feet just to clear for the cabin site and to thin the existing stand. Logs larger than 10" are the ones wanted by the mills and I would have no trouble selling them. Unfortunately, those are the best trees and the ones we really want to keep. I have found out that the transportation cost is the determining factor. Thanks for your input.

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 11:26 - Edited by: Malamute

I wonder if it's worth someone with a portable mill to set up on your place and cut rough lumber from them? Would be a source of lumber for you, and they could sell some to make their money. The small mill I buy rough lumber from charges about $500/1000 bf. They seem a bit lower than average. There's some money in the trees, if there's a decent portable mill setup around.

It's easier to haul lumber than trees.

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 23:38 - Edited by: TomChum

Well I used to think "wood is wood" but now, older and wiser, and having owned "timber" for 1 1/2 years now .....

It seems like you could make studs out of it, and use them indoors. But you can buy a stud, kiln-dried, for $2 already made. And at the store, you can often to hi-grade the stack for the straight ones.

I'm operating on hearsay, but....anyway the guy who built my cabin told me to never build anything that is exposed to the "outdoors",,,, from --->ponderosa pine<---. To illustrate this he walked over to a stump, (cut 1998) stepped on it and it crushed, like it was made of cardboard. "That's Ponderosa" he said. A Doug fir stump next to it was hard as a rock. These trees were cut at the same time, so 13 years outside and the --->ponderosa<--- pine was 'gone'. This guy buys and sells logs for a living and he never buys ponderosa, because nobody will buy it from him, not even for firewood.

I don't know if this applies at all to lodgepole pine, or other pines, or other climates. I'm in the cascade mountains, on the eastern (dry) side, and my timber is appx 40% ponderosas. I much prefer Ponderosas standing. I like the tree, the shade they provide, and the nice bed of needles covering my road.

I had a big stack pile of --->ponderosa pine<--- logs from a fuels suppression project. He said to put it in a tight pile and let it rot. I burned off the pile for a little while in my stove, but it was smoky and was depositing a thick goo on my stovepipe. Sso I stopped using it, now I burn Doug fir only.

I felt lucky when someone drove all the way out to my place to haul it away for free. It was fairly dry, down for 1 year and next to the road. (was almost 3 cords!) Nice to have the pile (mostly) gone but I feel sorry for his neighbors.....

AYP1909
# Posted: 11 Oct 2011 11:34

I found this link through the USFS regarding Ponderosa Pine:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/254ponder.pdf

I'm sure that it is not the best wood for log home construction but if properly stained and preserved I would imagine that it would be as good as the next tree; there are pine log structures in the area that are more than 100 years old. I was just trying to offer some inexpensive building materials to someone who may need them.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.