Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Curious about this square log cabin wall construction
socceronly
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 12:56

What's happening here....

The tenons of each log have chinking between them. Does that mean there is a spacer between the logs and between tenons in the corners?

If I am not mistaken dovetail logs rest on each other in the corners. (I think).
CornerChinking.jpg
CornerChinking.jpg

socceronly
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 13:00

Then from the same company, this wall the logs look to be lapped, and not tenons. No chinking at all.

They must put some kind of gasket material in between.

I hope to go see them in the coming weeks, and if I find out anything interesting I'll post it here.
Screenshot_2024102.png
Screenshot_2024102.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 13:54

Looks to be similar to our new prebuilt log cabin.
The logs are milled 'square', ours has a tongue/groove at the top joint with a gasket strip between. They sit one atop the other in a nice tight stack.
The outer edges are chamfered providing a nice look and can be chinked but don't need to be. We paid extra for the chinking (it is a synthetic long life product) for the water sealing weatherproofing and look.
The inside has no chamfer, just a seam, so the walls look like flat logs/boards.
We love it!

socceronly
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 15:01

Oooh, I see.

The logs sit on one another but the edges are chamfered. Now I have to go look up the difference between a chamfer and a bevel...lol

Thanks
JM

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 15:08

HaHa
Guess I should have said beveled, it is more appropriate.....but I could only remember the more complicated word

ICC
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 17:17

fillet, chamfer, bevel
f-c-b
f-c-b

socceronly
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 17:57

Ah, I see what they mean by Chamfer using less material. The bevel goes all the way.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 18:11 - Edited by: ICC

The chamfer in the illustration could also be even smaller. The illustration cuts off at about 2/3 thickness. It could be at one-third or less.

On hardwood projects I often cut a 3/32 (or so} chamfer to make the edge less 'hard' or sharp. Or on softwood I prefer a slight fillet; round over.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.