Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 5/4 floorboards
ThisOldCabinNJ
# Posted: 16 Oct 2024 13:53

Has anyone purchased, used or installed 5/4 floorboards? I found some 5/4 tongue and groove flooring but its clear grain doug-fir (beautiful if I may say) but a little on the costly side. Just wondering if its worth the extra $$. Part of the reason for using 5/4 if for the extra strength as well as bringing the height of the floor up to match the tiled "vestibule" area. I can find other way to raise the height of the floor - just thought the 5/4 would be a straightforward way to do so (rather than having to lay more plywood, etc..)

thanks - your opinion/input is greatly apreciated.

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Oct 2024 19:13

5/4 vs 3/4ply. 3/4ply will prob win, be cheaper and have less squeaks.

ICC
# Posted: 16 Oct 2024 20:39 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: ThisOldCabinNJ
Has anyone purchased, used or installed 5/4 floorboards?

As the finished floor surface? I assume that is what you mean. It is done frequently for outdoor decks, but not with T&G materials, rather plain square or rounded edge boards with slight spacing for drainage. Indoors T&G would be nice as the T&G adds rigidness. Pine is probably the most commonly used species for outdoor 5/4 deck boards, most often 6 inches wide.

Indoors a T&G 5/4 floor would make a nice floor. If applied directly on the floor joists 16" would be the maximum joist spacing when laid perpendicular to the joists. At an angle 12" OC joists would be better.

Are the T&G joint faces v-grooved or square? If square, I imagine you would want to sand the finished surface. Or not? If v-grooved the grooves could be a dirt and crap collector.

Sometimes one side is v-grooved and the other is not. Often the flat side is rough and meant to be the finished topside (needing sanding after installation) while the v-groove side faces down and makes an attractive ceiling for the room below.

travellerw
# Posted: 17 Oct 2024 01:17

Quoting: Brettny
5/4 vs 3/4ply. 3/4ply will prob win, be cheaper and have less squeaks.

I agree with this... The squeaks for sure..

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Oct 2024 12:14

We have red fir t&g flooring but it is maybe 3/4" and it is laid over 3/4" plywood. It does have a few squeaks... apparently wasn't glued. Really like the look.
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg

ThisOldCabinNJ
# Posted: 21 Oct 2024 20:26

Quoting: Nobadays
We have red fir t&g flooring

Gorgeous! Where did you get that from? Local source or came with the house? Sadly the original floors were (I think) clear vertical grain Douglas fir. I’ve found similar in 5/4 but it’s costly and not available for local delivery or shipment. I’m not in need of flooring just yet but planning ahead trying to match floor thicknesses

Anyhow, I found a supplier (actually by recommendation of someone here) for my T&G ceiling boards that has 5/4 T&G porch flooring. It’s square edged and looks to install the same as 3/4” T&G flooring. Just curious but how would this be any squeakier than say 3/4 T&G red oak flooring?

If anyone needs T&G and are local to NY state, New Hampton lumber is THE place. I was killing myself stripping shellac off old bead boards thinking I was saving money. After 5 birds I calculated time and what new would cost and well, new was much more affordable.

Nobadays
# Posted: 22 Oct 2024 03:58

The floors were in the house when we bought it. The lumber was sourced locally. A small mill in Southern Colorado. But to my knowledge there are no red fir trees in Colorado so they apparently sourced the logs from the PNW.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.