Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 20ft Shipping container build
SmallHouseLiving
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 11:50

Hi All,

I plan to do a 20ft container home build and have lots of ideas in mind, and eager to get started.

My first plan is to cut the entire side (length ways) out of the container, and frame this with timber. The plan is for large doors and windows in the side and this will be all my windows/doors covered on one side only.

My biggest concern or question here is regarding structural strength. Will I compromise the containers strength but doing this? Obviously, I will only cut as far as the thin side steel and not touch any of the structural elements, but I was more concerned on twisting when the container is moved or pickup up. Has anyone done this or can you provide your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you!
20DDBeige1015Side.jpg
20DDBeige1015Side.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 15:42

Can’t be much help but I also have a 20’ container that I built my deck on top of some years ago. The sides have a corrugated shape that helps structure, don’t see that in your photo. I did cut a window opening in one side but only about 4x2. Also as you can see I have large I-beams running the length. If you’re going to move it around you might consider, in addition to beams between the windows, removable diagonally bracing.

Good luck with the project!
193.jpeg
193.jpeg

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 16:06

Quoting: SmallHouseLiving
Will I compromise the containers strength but doing this?

no

travellerw
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 17:15

Before starting any of this, can I make a suggestion! Go find a 20ft container that has been sitting in the sun and spend 10 min in it.

Seriously, we have a good friend that just finished a container build and he is full of regrets. Even with good insulation its still unbearably hot. Plus when he did the math, he didn't really save anything over a traditional stick build.

I'm not bashing container builds as I think they are cool looking and can be ok in the right situation, but for %90 of builds they are probably not right.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 18:19

Mine’s in the shade and only junk storage so heat not a problem. It does however have a couple of large holes cut into the top from a previous use. Appears to be just flat sheet metal, easy enough to cut through and no structural integrity. Might be a good option, add a loft!

ICC
# Posted: 10 Sep 2024 20:59

I like containers as storage units that can deter some thefts. I wonder how well-suited they are for conversion to a cabin or small house and how great the savings in time or money is. How much insulation value is desired or needed to make them usable; how much interior space does that leave? I have never liked rooms smaller than 10 feet in any horizontal direction. I am all for reusing things when that does not entail too many compromises.

I can't say with certainty but it seems to me that removing an entire side of a container must affect the structural integrity. And as you mention how will that affect the ability to move the unit after the cut-out? That is where an engineer's knowledge and talent come into play. How will you determine what size timbers to use for the main girder and what size and spacing of timbers?

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 10:48

Quoting: travellerw
Seriously, we have a good friend that just finished a container build and he is full of regrets. Even with good insulation its still unbearably hot. Plus when he did the math, he didn't really save anything over a traditional stick build

I wouldnt think you would save much. Per square foot there not as cheap as a standard shed. Ontop of that most people dont have the welding and metal working skills to properly cut into and waterproof one.

How ever for quick, movable, secure and rodent free storage there prety cheap. If you are useing one as storage there decent. When you pack a 40' you end up always needing something in the back. There like a storage hallway really.

SmallHouseLiving
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 11:07

The thing is, I am building with the ability to move in mind.

A shed is not easily movable.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 12:26

Big pre-built sheds and even small log cabins (we have one ) are moved down the highways all the time.
Imo way better than trying to make an oversized ammo can into living space.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 13:13

Quoting: SmallHouseLiving
The thing is, I am building with the ability to move in mind.

If the ability to move it is important then I do not think cutting the side open is a practical idea.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Sep 2024 14:03

Im with ICC, cut it after its set in place.
The only advantage I can see with a container is its not taxed as a structure. I did do one, added a roof over it with good attic venting and its cool inside, even on warm days and I added venting down sides to breath, so no sweat. I am in a drier area also.

Otherwise, you will find cost high to build into a home.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Sep 2024 21:01

It's way easier to find a shed mover here than a shipping container mover. It's nearly impossible to even buy a shipping container that you have put eyes on before it shows up too and I'm in southern ny.

tomaitetoma53
# Posted: 25 Sep 2024 12:23

What about building storage for my garden tools in a shipping container? Have been thinking about it for a while, if its worth it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Sep 2024 01:17

Quoting: tomaitetoma53
What about building storage for my garden tools in a shipping container? Have been thinking about it for a while, if its worth it.

Absolutely and its not taxable by the local govt. Much more secure than a wooden structure too.
Dont be fooled about them looking ugly, if its ugly, your doing it wrong.
container_painted_fr.jpg
container_painted_fr.jpg

Steve961
# Posted: 5 Oct 2024 18:13

I have a lot of experience with building a shipping container cabin and have included a pic of mine below.

I typically try and discourage others from doing what I did, unless they have a specific need such as myself. I built my cabin with containers for the security they provide - I had a lot of break-ins and theft in my old cabin. Removing a container wall and replacing it with a stud wall totally defeats that purpose.

There is also the cost issue. You absolutely will not save money building with containers. It probably cost me 50% more to build with containers, but for me it was worth it for the security. It will also take you longer to build than a standard frame building, and have huge constraints on your floorplan and any future additions.

One more thing. When I was researching my build I was specifically told not to remove any walls until the containers were welded to my concrete foundation. The issue wasn't one of strength, as I welded steel box beams to those places, but that the container could twist out of square. If that happens, good luck getting it back in square to add your stud wall.

If you really like the look of steel, build a standard frame structure and use steel panels/roofing for the siding.
Finished01.jpg
Finished01.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 5 Oct 2024 21:21 - Edited by: ICC

Now that is what I would call a well executed plan resulting in one of the better vandal snd burglar resistant cabins I have seen. And an honest assessment of practicality, benefits and drawbacks. I like it!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Oct 2024 12:16

Quoting: Steve961
I have a lot of experience with building a shipping container cabin

Steve, how does the county look at it? Is it taxed or not. I would think not, but curious.

Steve961
# Posted: 8 Oct 2024 00:56

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Steve, how does the county look at it? Is it taxed or not. I would think not, but curious.

Yes, it is taxed. I'm fortunate though in that it's in a rural agricultural area with low taxes. My land is also taxed as agricultural since 17 of my 40 acres is cropland - that helps a lot.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Oct 2024 02:00

Very nice! Are they open to each other inside?

Steve961
# Posted: 8 Oct 2024 14:38

Quoting: paulz
Very nice! Are they open to each other inside?

Yes, all the internal side walls were cut out.

chevy43
# Posted: 8 Oct 2024 15:17 - Edited by: chevy43

It's beutiful Steve! Where are the entry doors and how did you make them secure? - or is the door on the left side of the picture obscured by the container door?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Oct 2024 12:31

Yes, it is taxed. I'm fortunate though in that it's in a rural agricultural area with low taxes. My land is also taxed as agricultural since 17 of my 40 acres is cropland - that helps a lot.

OK, probably because of the concrete foundation.

I too, take advantage of a tax break, my land is in timber status, the state considers me a timber farmer. I do have to hire a forrester to draw up a forest management plan and submit it every 10 years. 20 acres comes to about $32 a year, I have 2 20 acre plots, the one with a cabin has 1 acre removed from timber status. But still reasonable. My cabin on 40 acres comes to around $200 a year.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Oct 2024 13:52

Quoting: chevy43
Where are the entry doors and how did you make them secure? - or is the door on the left side of the picture obscured by the container door?

From the web. No idea on security.
IMG_3646.jpeg
IMG_3646.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 10 Oct 2024 18:10

It looks like you close, latch and lock the container end doors. No?

Steve961
# Posted: 10 Oct 2024 18:34

Quoting: chevy43
It's beutiful Steve! Where are the entry doors and how did you make them secure? - or is the door on the left side of the picture obscured by the container door?

Yes, the entry door is obscured by the container door. All three container doors close and are secured by special container locks. The pic below shows it all closed up.

Finished08.jpg
Finished08.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 14:22

doors close and are secured by special container locks.

Excellent job of doing what needed to be done. I’ve never locked my container (just full of junk), nor seen those special locks. I did have to cut a lock a while ago off a chain, using a makita battery carbide wheel, took seconds. Tool of norm for thieves I’d imagine.

Desim
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 15:44

Locks help keep an honest man, honest.
Son works for the R.R. and due to government regulations they have to stop at inconvenient locations. Sometimes the next morning stuff is all over the tracks where thieves throw unwanted items and take the best.
Nike Shoes and TV's are high on the wanted list.
Angle grinders are faster than keys.

Steve961
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 16:47

Quoting: Desim
Locks help keep an honest man, honest.

My problem wasn't with determined thieves, but with the younger crowd looking for a place to party. The last straw was when I came back to my old hunting shack and saw that they almost burned it down, accidentally, with one of my kerosene lanterns. Fortunately they did put it out with the fire extinguisher that was there, but I knew then that I had to do something different when I built my permanent cabin.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2024 17:12 - Edited by: paulz

tempting to the unknown though. “Must be something valuable in there…” Maybe a peep hole to see it’s just a cabin.

Unless there’s a Ferrari in there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.