Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sound insulation, what's your suggestions?
WILL1E
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 12:29

My cabin is 16x32 with 10' walls and a gambrel roof. On one end is the bedroom and bathroom which have 8' ceilings with joists above which make the loft. The loft footprint is 16x10'. I'm planning to install the ceiling in the bedroom and bathroom this weekend which will be a flush mounted track system...like a drop ceiling, but not dropped. The square panels will be galvanized corrugated steel.

The problem right now is when you're laying in bed and someone uses the bathroom, you can hear things you don't want to hear! I know the finished ceiling will help prevent that a little bit, but i'm thinking about putting some Rockwool sound insulation into the ceiling/loft floor to help cut that back more. Do I just put insulation above the wall separating the rooms, do i just do all of the bathroom ceiling or do i need to do all of the bathroom and the bedroom?

If you need visuals, check out the most recent photos in my build thread.

jsahara24
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 13:43

I can tell you I insulated the ceiling of my cabin with fiberglass insulation beneath the loft, and it appears to have made zero difference in noise reduction.....

But I hear you, when someone (especially dogs) walk around in the loft it sounds like a herd of buffalo up there....

WILL1E
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 14:22

Just to clarify, this was less to do with the noise from the loft and more to do with not having to hear someone give birth to Mr.Hanky in the bathroom on the other side of the wall!

travellerw
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 15:01

Our cabin is very similar to yours and yes we had the exact same problem.

I put "Safe'nSound" (basically a brand of rockwool) between the joists above separating wall. Maybe a 6 inch long chunk, but it fills the joist cavity from the bottom to the top.

That made a HUGE difference, but didn't totally eliminate it. However, once the drop ceiling was installed, that removed pretty much all sound transfer.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 16:02

You dont have a ceiling in the first floor so above the lower wall is open? Closing that will help alot.

All of our floors are 2x10 and 3/4 OSB sub floor. I used polyurethane subfloor foam/glue and its possibly the strongest floor I have ever stood on that uses 2x lumber.

We also have a gambrel metal roof. 4in of foam and 5.5in of fiberglass and you almost cant hear rain on the roof.

WILL1E
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 16:47

Quoting: travellerw
I put "Safe'nSound" (basically a brand of rockwool) between the joists above separating wall.

That's exactly what i ordered. 1 bag will cover the entire bathroom so ill see how that goes!

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Jul 2024 21:09 - Edited by: DaveBell

Quoting: jsahara24
when someone (especially dogs) walk around in the loft it sounds like a herd of buffalo up there.
Carpet with thick pad will help.

Sound Class
Sound abatement of materials is stated as STC, sound transmission class. Different materials are used for different frequencies. High density such as solid rubber will block high frequencies very well. Brettny had success with foam because its dense.

Sound stops when it dissipates into heat. It bounces around off of smooth materials until it looses all of its energy. Anytime you are in an office look at the drop ceiling tiles. Those divots capture the sound waves. The more porous the panel is, the higher the STC. Acoustic Foam panels glued to sound/recording studio walls and ceilings are used for sound abatement. They are expensive and some are very flammable. (Great White fire)

https://www.acousticsfirst.com/acoustical-foam-flamibility-fire-ratings.htm

https://www.acousticsfirst.com/sound-absorbers.htm

So to stop the fart echo, you need to insulate not only the ceiling, but the walls also. You could try to make you own sound stopping art work out of light wood frames, Styrofoam panels, and rough burlap/canvas from the craft store. See some of the pictures in the links above.

Interesting story: A government agency used a laser aimed at a window across the street in a city and was able to listen and record the conversations because voice audio modulated the glass. Audio transducers transmitting white noise were installed on the windows to solve the problem.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.