Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Poor Design - Need Ideas
Alpine_Junky
# Posted: 24 Jun 2024 18:38

Need some redesign ideas...

We built this little porch where the fall line of the roof allows water to hit the decking and splash up and hit the door. It is an icy mess all winter. And is getting too much water on the back door.

I live in a northern climate where we get a lot of snow, I want the roof to slide off and generally have no drainage issues where I need a full gutter system (it would be ripped of by the roof shedding snow anyways. When the roof sheds, I simply load the snow with the tractor and pile it elsewhere as part of driveway clean up.

My thinking at present is to shrink the porch bringing it inside the 3' overhang. This makes it a bit little small - which is why I am asking if anyone might have a better idea.
image_50429441.JPG
image_50429441.JPG
image_67193345.JPG
image_67193345.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 25 Jun 2024 12:46

I like the fire wise exterior treatment. Metal is good. With that in mind, how about replacing the present stairs and porch with metal? Stair treads and porch floor could be metal bar grate sections. Rain, snow, mud would fall through. Fireproof.

This type of material. https://gratingpacific.com/product/steel-bar-grating/

Then you could even make the porch floor a little wider if you wanted to have more space at the door.

jsahara24
# Posted: 25 Jun 2024 13:41

What about the snow diverters that push the snow to either side of your door?

Curly
# Posted: 25 Jun 2024 14:44

Could you extend the roof out over the porch and stairs? Support posts would be required for the extension. You might have enough clearance to prevent the door from hitting the roof extension.

spencerin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2024 02:11

ICC's grating suggestion is a fantastic idea.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jun 2024 12:13

I would also extend the roof over the porch. Remove guard posts and put in taller ones to carry a beam for the rafters.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.