Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin structure beams rot issue - Need opinion
<< . 1 . 2 .
Cal89
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 19:21

I found this video on this forum and it looks very similar to my situation. I like what he did and I'm thinking about doing the same. The only thing is that I didn't see him put in any footings for the sono tubes, and just wondering why(bear in mind my lack of knowledge on the subject).

URL

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 20:42

You dont need footings below sono tubes if the bottom is below the frost line.

razmichael
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 21:14

If you want a more stable footing to the tube you can use BigFoots - example URL
Which you see in some of the footage showing the bases of tubes pulled out.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 02:37 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Brettny
You dont need footings below sono tubes if the bottom is below the frost line.

...unless the soil cannot bear the weight of the cabin with the smaller footprint of the tube diameter vs a larger square footing. That is the main purpose of the footing.

jsahara24
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 13:16

I used bigfoots on my cabin, they are a nice product.... However it kinda takes away the convenience of the sonotubes as you need an excavator to set them....

And it depends on the soil bearing capacity as to whether a footer is needed. How much weight is on the sonotubes (how many sonotubes are you putting in) compared to the bearing capacity of the soil.

Cal89
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 16:36

The soil in the area based on the research online is a sandy fine loam, well drained.

I decided to go ahead with using concrete blocks, in a cross pattern as Brettny suggested, filled with concrete and rebar. These will sit on a 18x18x4 concrete pad that I will pour myself reinforced with rebar as well. Compacted gravel underneath.

I know it might not be the best decision, but the current foundation lasted for 55 years with 8x8 blocks and mortar that go down a foot or so into the ground and is still level. I figure I can level it down the road as needed.

Opinions are appreciated!

spencerin
# Posted: 31 Jul 2024 02:40

"mortar that go down a foot or so into the ground"

So, is there an existing pad/"footer" for each pier already in place? If so, can you remove the piers and leave the pads in place? Or, are they both one unit, and removing the pier means removing the pad with it?

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.