Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Help! Log cabin with 2x roof
jp0639
# Posted: 29 May 2024 14:32

16x16 full scribe scandanavian saddle notched, out of red pine. Logs walls only, opted for a 2x roof system as this is a solo operation and will be moving it into the bush. Currently trying to flush out some details. I am a former mil pilot with a head injury..not a builder.

Looking at: 10/12 slope, 2x12x16 ridge, 2x10 24 o.c for first 8ā€™ (loft w/ dormer) and hoping to figure out how to do 48ā€ for joists through the remaining 8ā€™. Will use simpson strong ties at ridge and joist.

Any help would be appreciated

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 May 2024 14:43

Don't attach the loft joists to the wall studs, nail or screw a shorter 2x10 to the wall stud and put the loft joist on top of the added stud to transfer the load to the foundation.

jp0639
# Posted: 29 May 2024 15:28 - Edited by: jp0639

So a mini wall out of 2x10s sitting on top of the log wall?

ICC
# Posted: 29 May 2024 21:48

..... the wall studs

What studs? Is this not a true log-walled structure? Or what am I missing?

But that does raise the question of the sizing of the loft floor joists for the 16 foot span.

16 x 16 foot outside dimensions? What mean diameter logs for the walls?

ICC
# Posted: 29 May 2024 21:56

So the loft floor joists will restrain the outward forces from the rafters to the sidewalls. I am not a log builder so do not know how stiff scribed log and saddle notched sidewalls can be, though I suspect quite stiff. My question is how they will stand up to the outward forces in the non-lofted end? Any idea on that? What sort of snow loads, though the 10/12 pitch will help with that and also reduce the outward rafter tail forces?

Thinking about the desire for 48" rafter spacing???? What sort of roof sheathing would be used? Most commonly used materials would not be suitable for a 48" span.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 May 2024 23:00

Can you draw a picture?

jp0639
# Posted: 30 May 2024 13:18

So a mini wall out of 2x10s sitting on top of the log wall?

jp0639
# Posted: 30 May 2024 13:28

No studs, 8-10ā€ logs, 16x16 outside dimensions. Ply sheathing was the plan, though iā€™m open to suggestions. 48ā€ spacing was on joists only, rafters continue at 24. Thank you all!

DaveBell
# Posted: 30 May 2024 13:36

Quoting: ICC
What studs? Is this not a true log-walled structure? Or what am I missing?

No, I got confused thinking of Gcrank's beautiful cabin. Sorry, I had stud walls on the brain.

jp0639
# Posted: 30 May 2024 16:45

Pic
IMG_4302.jpeg
IMG_4302.jpeg

jp0639
# Posted: 30 May 2024 16:54

Plan to plane the top logs and put down a 2x10 top plate for the birds mouth to rest on

Brettny
# Posted: 31 May 2024 15:24 - Edited by: Brettny

You want to do 48in spacing for loft floor joists? Or 48in span to hold the walls together with a cathedral ceiling? If it's just to hold the walls together I would just to a single joist..if even that because your walls are logs.

ICC
# Posted: 31 May 2024 19:32

I would look into a log as a tie neam between the log wall tops. It is just a question of what fasteners, what hardware to use.

Royalwapiti
# Posted: 2 Jun 2024 11:25 - Edited by: Royalwapiti

Wouldn't the 2x10's just be a rafter tie and the floor joist of the loft?

I did a 8 foot spacing for my rafter ties, no loft, they were 14' long (small cabin), used a collar tie on every rafter which was 2' on center. Doubled up the rafter ties on the 8' mark on each side of that rafter. Those will become a decorative beam.

We ripped a hip roof off that had a sloped roof attached. But left a portion of the hip on one end.
Rafter
Rafter

jp0639
# Posted: 2 Jun 2024 13:16

I was thinking the 2x10s would be both loft joist and serve as rafter ties. Do you think iā€™d be ok with only that half tied, or should add a log tie in as well?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.