Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Spray foam froth pak cost $$$$$
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 4 Sep 2024 18:55

What you are about to take on is what I would invariably hire out to someone else. I love foam after it is sprayed in... It sounds like you are pre-planning well. Best of good fortune.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 01:56 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Done! Success! It was actually fairly easy. Only took about an hour. I was really dreading this but it was not too bad. think if you were using this somewhere else other than spraying overhead in a crawlspace it would have been a cinch. I had a little more room that I was anticipating. 2-3 ft in most places- Only one quadrant of the cabin had super restricted space- the other places were actually fairly easy to maneuver. Didn’t even get any foam on me- I was very impressed with The froth pak- it made for a very professional type job. Looks good and the floor just feels denser now too when walking on it. Not cold enough yet to tell if it’ll make a difference but should.

The 620 board ft froth pak just barely did the 440 sq ft. I’m sure it was maybe thicker than supposed to be in some parts- but I’ve got a good solid 1-2” of foam in most places. The 30 second spray time untill nozzle clog wasnt a big deal at all- in fact I only used 4 nozzles.

I learned that If you put it on too thick it will buckle at the leading edge as it expands and pull downward seperating from the subfloor. It happened a few times. I just let it dry and broke the edge off and resprayed in its place. a thinner coat and continuous wet edge is the best way to eliminate this but not always possible when having to reposition. There’s a few spots that need some attention yet. I’ll buy a can or two of the kraken foam to fill those in.
IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6157.jpeg
IMG_6157.jpeg
IMG_6158.jpeg
IMG_6158.jpeg
IMG_6159.jpeg
IMG_6159.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 13:43

Nice job Griz. Way to get her done!

ICC
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 17:19

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Sep 2024 18:46

way to go. Looks great

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Sep 2024 00:57

Glad it went well!

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Sep 2024 10:20

Looking back I'm about $504 into cans of spray foam. I did the "cut and cobble" method. I wish I got a bigger DIY kit but then I would have had to do all my spray foam at once. I remember one day I used about 10 cans of the great stuff "pro" cans.

We have 4in of poly iso with spray foam around it.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 9 Sep 2024 13:01

Brettny

You do have way more r value there though. 4 inches should be what- 25 or more? That’s pretty great.

But you’re right time was definitely one of my considerations. Only an hour to do it was definitely worth the $$$… and of course it’s not the cost necessarily- it’s the marginal cost compared to other methods. so I figured the extra cost for the time saved and ease of hauling materials/ sourcing materials, etc is worth it- but again only 7 ish r value.

jsahara24
# Posted: 9 Sep 2024 13:11

Quoting: Grizzlyman
Looks good and the floor just feels denser now too when walking on it. Not cold enough yet to tell if it’ll make a difference but should.

I agree the floor feels better when walking on it....And it definitely will make a difference this winter!

Nice work, looks great...

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Sep 2024 15:48

Quoting: Grizzlyman
You do have way more r value there though. 4 inches should be what- 25 or more? That’s pretty great.

But you’re right time was definitely one of my considerations. Only an hour to do it was definitely worth the $$$… and of course it’s not the cost necessarily- it’s the marginal cost compared to other methods. so I figured the extra cost for the time saved and ease of hauling materials

That's true. I have been doing this cut and cobble method on my cabin for almost 6 months. Was not fast at all.

paulz
# Posted: 13 Sep 2024 18:09

Been following this a bit since Griz brought it up. My place is just 3/4 ply over 2x joist about 16” off the ground. Pretty mild here, a few 30 mornings in winter. Would it do me any good? Not that I feel like farting around under there..

Over the plywood I have these particle board shelves I picked up free from a retail store that moved. They’ve held up well, hard as a rock. Probably insulate some too. It’d be easy enough to pull them up and put something thin under. Or I have some old thick throw rugs from the city house.
IMG_3428.jpeg
IMG_3428.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 Sep 2024 01:42

Does the cool floor bother you guys Paul? If not then it may not be worth the effort & expense (even though I know for materials you are the Scrounger King)

paulz
# Posted: 15 Sep 2024 02:08

No not really bothersome as I recall. Our grid house has a cement slab floor, right on the dirt like a garage floor, that’s ok too, though it does have 60 year old radiant heating that I never run. Just rely on the wood stove, both places.

But it’s a warm September now, might be singing a different tune come February!

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 02:59

Just reporting on the benefit of floor insulation. Last weekend we had some pretty chilly temps (down to low 30s) though no freeze yet.

We had the stove going and noticed how warm the floor was. And not only that but the floor stayed warm throughout the night. In fact when I woke up at 6 the next morning the first thing that struck me was that the floor was actually warm when I put my feet down.

I think this proves the insulation project successful.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Oct 2024 04:13

YES! My cabin floor is insulated, about R25. (walls R30, ceiling R45) In the cold weather it may take 24 hours for the interior to completely warm; not just the sir but drywall, wood walls & ceiling, furniture, contents of the cabinets, and the tile floor. No drafts, good windows. The foam core steel door and good exterior storm door..

This time of year (last night 42F and a daytime high of 69F) I have have one fire a day, in the morning. No reloading during the day.

I love good insulation!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.