Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Window security, how to protect from break-ins
LeeMn
# Posted: 17 Jul 2024 19:31

I am gutting our 1970's hunting cabin in northern WI. We have it down to the studs and replacing windows soon. it is right on a dirt road and ATV/snowmobile route. Frequent traffic. We have owned it since 2020 and was broken into many times over the years. Our shed was broken into this Feb. There is no electricity within miles of cabin. Right now we have plywood sheets on hinges on outside of cabin that have toggle bolts through the window frame and secured with wingnuts on inside of cabin. Looking for better design for preventing people from breaking in. Any ideas?

travellerw
# Posted: 17 Jul 2024 20:22

Solar based 5G cameras and signs.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 17 Jul 2024 21:01

We’ve had this discussion a few times at our place. No break ins… but still talked about it.. Cameras and OBVIOUS cameras are probably the best deterrent. An obvious camera with a sign or something is probably the best you can do. Otherwise plywood like you said- I can’t imagine something more.

I think if we’re talking about a remote place in the woods with no one around.. you really can’t stop someone from breaking in if they want to.

As much as I hate to say it Honestly I think there is a good argument to be made to just leave it unlocked or at least lock it but not really secure all that much.

A little lock is a good deterrent. To much lock and they break a window. I’d rather have someone just walk in frankly than kick a door in and/ or break a window.

Curly
# Posted: 17 Jul 2024 21:08

Some suggestions: Make the exterior doors open outward rather than inward so they are harder to kick in. Minimize the number of windows and make them smaller so it is harder for someone to crawl in them. You might be able to incorporate some rebar or steel mesh into your window framing to prevent entry through the windows. Hide an Apple airtag in an item you think the bad guys would steal and see if the airtag will lead the police to the thieves. Just some ideas (maybe not good ones). Good luck to you. It stinks when bad guys ruin your cabin experience.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Jul 2024 22:01

Rolling steel shutters.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 00:12

Bet the break ins are the same perps.
Get em on camera and busted.
Sad thing is that there is no way you can secure a remote cabin short of making it a bunker....and somebody could still look at that as a challenge to beat.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 01:28

This
IMG_3067.jpeg
IMG_3067.jpeg

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 11:54

I went with the small lock to deter honest ish people and leave a lot less damage from the breakin
I did put up a number of cameras and signs but everyone wears hoodies these days so you don’t see much

Don’t leave anything of value and at least they won’t bother a second time

LeeMn
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 12:15

Quarantine sign is a new idea! Tried the small lock on the Conex box. They broke that pretty easily. Our front door is steel that opens outward and has thick iron box over lock. Weakness is the windows. Want light and not have to take everything home each trip. Bought some trail camera signs and a cellular trail camera but reception is not good in the area.

Thanks for the responses.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2024 13:05

You could run rebar through all the window openings And wall studs (resistant to cordless reciprocating saw) and your steel door needs to have reenforced lock and hinge areas.

DaveBell
# Posted: 25 Jul 2024 05:27

Quoting: LeeMn
Looking for better design for preventing people from breaking in. Any ideas?

Physical Security Science. Deter, Delay, Detect.

Windows. Heavy Expanded steel sheet bolted through wall with six Bolt, Washer, Washer, Nylon Locknut. When they try to unscrew the bolt it will just spin because of the lock nut. You can still use the window for ventilation. One measure of improvement; wielded L shape stock making a frame then wield the mesh to the frame.

Door. Four hour fire rated door. It has a steel frame. With hand set lock and 2" throw dead bolt.

"But I put up a metal door from home depot?" Yeah with a weak point of 1\2 inch of pine at the handset.

No matter what you do, it can be defeated. However, make it so tough, they need to pack a lunch to get into your place or make so they decide to move on to easier pickings.

Don't store anything of value. If you don't want to lose it, take it home with you. Disable you snow sled, ATV, Tractor and take the parts home with you.
Like the coil wire, or take a tire home with you.

And use game cameras. I have the cellular one that send pics to my phone.

jvgo
# Posted: 26 Jul 2024 20:26

I "borrowed" this from Facebook. If I was going to write a sign I would do it the same way. You know straight up you are entering a place where people know who is supposed to be there. I had to read this out loud in redneck in order to understand it.
Camp Sign
Camp Sign

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2024 11:28

Location location location. One of the major things we looked for when we bought property was it wasn't a short cut and wasn't a well traveled route. Sadly you cant change that on your cabin.

We do have solar cellular PTZ cameras. The cheap $80 one works well with a $120 yearly data plan. Consider everything left at the cabin bait for the first few years.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 29 Jul 2024 02:35

The hinged plywood over the windows sounds great as is.

- Could dress up the exterior for a good or interesting look when closed.

- Could screw on metal as well. Or add rebar or something to it. (Exposed or hidden)

If hinged at the top the plywood could serve as an awning too.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 29 Jul 2024 02:55 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Print on a piece of paper stapled to the door:

“Key is hanging on the nail.

Please lock door and
put key back
after you see
that there is nothing
valuable inside.”

But don’t put the key on the nail so they think someone has been there before them

Or fake the security

Say, put up way out of reach, a couple used cameras with fake wires, a cheap solar panel and an antenna to make it look like you’ve got some security system.

chloeellie
# Posted: 29 Jul 2024 09:49

To protect your windows from break-ins, consider these steps:

Install Window Locks: Use high-quality, secure locks to make windows harder to open from the outside.

Add Window Bars or Grilles: For extra security, install decorative bars or grilles that prevent unauthorized access.

Use Shatterproof Glass: Consider upgrading to tempered or laminated glass that’s harder to break.

Apply Window Film: Security window film can make glass more resistant to shattering.

Install an Alarm System: Ensure your alarm system includes window sensors to alert you if a window is tampered with.

Use Motion-Activated Lights: Exterior lights can deter potential burglars by making your home more visible.

These measures can significantly enhance your window security and protect your home from break-ins.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jul 2024 13:27

Surprised there isn't a link provided in all that.....

deercula
# Posted: 5 Aug 2024 15:19

Leemn,

Since you are remodeling, it would be a good time to put in some hidden areas. Floors, walls etc can be used stash things that will not be found in a quick smash and grab.

With the cordless power tools available today, it's impossible to keep thieves out. Cell cams with instant notification will give you a shot at calling the police. However, you will be constantly pestered by false alarms like birds, bats, falling leaves, etc .

Good luck, enjoy your refurbished cabin!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 11 Aug 2024 21:10

We have window security film on some of our home’s glass. Great stuff. Nearly 30 years old now and still invisible.

However it’s on the tempered glass in the doors. It will just hold the little pieces of glass together and allow a thief to push it in. We should have put it on plate glass that would then stay more securely in the frame.

On one vulnerable cabin window I used Lexan. It’s held up well.

Desim
# Posted: 14 Aug 2024 15:38

Personal experience, cameras.
Had minor vandalism several times at our Cross. No electricity so installed trail cameras with night-vision. Captured great images of the kids and knew several of them.
I went to one of them, 16 years old, and mentioned I saw they had been to the site and asked they take good care of it.
5+ years later, no more issues, guess all the kids know it is monitored.
Few like their bad deeds to come to light.

I've installed cameras on all my properties. In another instance a renter was thought to be murdered, only outside camera footage dispelled this.

LeeMn
# Posted: 19 Aug 2024 15:44

Some great ideas.

Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.