Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / The carport is getting new roof
Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 27 Jun 2024 12:18

Asphalt shingles over cedar shakes is quite a job to tear off. I’m glad I’m not doing it myself. I notice something I would not have expected, the nails don’t come out with the cedar shakes. There is a job in just driving them down before laying new OSB sheathing. What a mess.
IMG_7401.jpeg
IMG_7401.jpeg
IMG_7405.jpeg
IMG_7405.jpeg
IMG_7404.jpeg
IMG_7404.jpeg

jsahara24
# Posted: 27 Jun 2024 12:46

That's for sure, I had a new roof put on my old farmhouse. It had cedar shakes and then shingles, ended up having to remove the shakes and install a bunch of OSB back when their prices were $$$$.....

I remember going to pick up the OSB and everyone at the store was asking if I had to pull from my 401k to pay for it! haha...

paulz
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 00:47

Wow that looks familiar.. Here’s mine I put up a couple years ago. Luckily I used metal roofing. Underneath that just roofing paper over 1x4. Didn’t really know what I was doing but so far so good.
IMG_2914.jpeg
IMG_2914.jpeg
IMG_2920.jpeg
IMG_2920.jpeg
646.jpeg
646.jpeg

drb777
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 13:10

After I aquired my city-house I also needed a 2-layer removal and re-deck. The resulting product was fine, but the attic was a complete disaster, and that clean-up wasn't part of the job/bid. Using asphalt shingles over old cedar shake only delays the inevitable, and creates a heavy load that will have to come down at some point.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.