Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin security when away... a light on, or not?
WHMillvale
# Posted: 22 Jun 2024 22:38

I'd like to know what people think about leaving a light on via a timer, over an period of time of being away (several weeks) from a cabin.

Is this a deterrent?

spencerin
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:14

Definitely a deterrent to a degree.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:23 - Edited by: paulz

Kind of a double edge sword. There is nobody across the street from me and the places next gate are not close. So driving by in the dark it’s not noticeable. But if someone already knows it’s there, open season.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:38

I believe the use of a few smart lights on a random pattern is good but just using a fixed timer may not be good.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:38 - Edited by: gcrank1

We have a solar night light that stays on 'half bright' until motion activated to full bright for 30 sec. or so.
I have it hung in a small hook at the front steps at home and can grab and go to hang it at the cabin while there. I thought about leaving it there last time but it is so nice to light those steps at home. It was cheap 'somewhere'.
It may be not much of a deterrent if left full time (why give a low-life light to work by?).
I did hang a 'Smile, You're on Camera' sign half way up the drive where there is a good spot to back up and turn around. How are they gonna know if you actually have a camera or not......

paulz
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 12:35 - Edited by: paulz

Speaking of lights, I have a rope and pulley high up a tree that a climber put in for me years ago. I was going to use it for an OTA network TV antenna, then internet WiFi streaming came along…

Driving me nuts having that unused pulley up there, so this week I hauled a small 12v led and wire up there. Worked ok but doesn’t do much good. Would be nice if I could light up the whole cabin area with one, for walking around at night or whatever. Is there a led light bright enough to do that? Like a street lamp. Maybe a car headlight led, though I have no way to aim it.
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg

KinAlberta
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 00:56 - Edited by: KinAlberta

There used to be sound activated switches. We have an old one which created a bit more randomness in our vacation lighting. Not a “clapper”. (Our furnace cutting in would trigger our table lamp.)

There’s currently cheap devices that mimic a TV being on.

The internet connected smart switches are good if you have internet at the cabin.

Found these brands
(Search keywords would be: Infrasonic secuity or sensor)
https://www.amazon.ca/Plug-Safe-Home-Security-System/dp/B071VFCDL1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safeguard-Complete-Home-Safety-Security-System/12575412

Curly
# Posted: 28 Jun 2024 15:04

I sometimes leave a light and a radio on when I am gone, but in reality if the bad guys get to my cabin they could see that my truck was not there and conclude that I was not there either.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Jun 2024 00:37

The reality is a light on at night isnt going to deter a theif. Hell they may come in the middle of the day any way.

My main deterrents are being on a road that isnt a short cut, a 700' driveway up hill from the gate at the road. Even after they hike up everything is locked up..even the wheel barrow. This means there prob only going to steal what they can carry after walking in.

ICC
# Posted: 29 Jun 2024 00:59 - Edited by: ICC

We are remote. Before the fire nothing was visible from any public access trail or road. That did not deter 3 loval bad guys who took their sweet time breaking snd going through everything and taking only those things they could sell to a 'fence'.. They used an ATV to cut across forest service land and drive through/over a barbed wire fence. Stealing our locked up ATV trailer made their work easier. They were caught because an alert and suspicious pueblo deputy saw them on their ATV's along a gravel county road. He ran the tag on the ATV trailer and their story about borrowing from a friend fell apart. A great feal of what they stole was never recovered though as they had made a few trips in and out and had already fenced most of the good stuff; generator, tools....

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jun 2024 02:18

Yeah, the local 'bad boys' who have been watching the comings and goings for years are often the perps.
A friend bought some rural northern WI property, built a house and after living there a decade still had 'locals' who had been free to tramp and hunt his land before he bought thinking they could continue as before. This even after he had several conversations with them. They were the 'good ol boys' and he was just another outsider.
It took about 20 years for it to change, mostly because the boys got married, moved away, etc. and one in prison.....

Fanman
# Posted: 29 Jun 2024 12:46

My ex brother in law had a cabin on land his grandfather won in a poker game years before. Every year the cabin was hit and anything valuable was stolen... once even the large cast iron stove! He knew who was doing it (the local bad boys again) but couldn't prove it. We brainstormed hidden camera ideas (this was before trail cameras or the Internet) but I don't think he ever did anything about it.

WHMillvale
# Posted: 30 Jun 2024 21:40

Quoting: KinAlberta
There used to be sound activated switches. We have an old one which created a bit more randomness in our vacation lighting. Not a “clapper”. (Our furnace cutting in would trigger our table lamp.)

There’s currently cheap devices that mimic a TV being on.

The internet connected smart switches are good if you have internet at the cabin.
Great ideas. Thanks!

Found these brands
(Search keywords would be: Infrasonic secuity or sensor)
https://www.amazon.ca/Plug-Safe-Home-Security-System/dp/B071VFCDL1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safeguard-Complete-Home-Safety-Security-System/12575412

WHMillvale
# Posted: 30 Jun 2024 21:41

That's probably the the way I'll go.

Quoting: ICC
I believe the use of a few smart lights on a random pattern is good but just using a fixed timer may not be good.

WHMillvale
# Posted: 30 Jun 2024 21:43

Yeah, and it comes down to if they want to give it a shot or not... But they don't know how long you'd be gone unless they cased the place over a period of time.

Quoting: Curly
I sometimes leave a light and a radio on when I am gone, but in reality if the bad guys get to my cabin they could see that my truck was not there and conclude that I was not there either.

WHMillvale
# Posted: 30 Jun 2024 21:46

Indeed, you sometimes have to get to the point of a newer population with "newer" locals to finally get past that old pattern.

Quoting: gcrank1
eah, the local 'bad boys' who have been watching the comings and goings for years are often the perps.
A friend bought some rural northern WI property, built a house and after living there a decade still had 'locals' who had been free to tramp and hunt his land before he bought thinking they could continue as before. This even after he had several conversations with them. They were the 'good ol boys' and he was just another outsider.
It took about 20 years for it to change, mostly because the boys got married, moved away, etc. and one in prison.....

EhFrame
# Posted: 30 Jul 2024 20:37

Sad tales. Mine is off the beaten path, has a gate and while understand that’s not 100% it’s better than other scenarios. Fingers crossed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.