Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Double Hung Window Net Clear Opening
spencerin
# Posted: 22 Jun 2024 20:37

I have 36" by 36" double hung windows. The bottom sash when opened I believe allows for only a 11" high net clear opening, and I can't seem to find a window AC unit that "short" to fit that space.

They do make "saddle" units that are only 4" tall at the saddle, but the opening still needs to be 16" to fit the unit through before "saddling" it in the sill.

I haven't really tinkered with the window yet. But, is there anything I can do with the sashes, like tilting both inward and pushing them up to the top, to temporarily provide a 16"+ opening?

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jun 2024 22:25

This one it’s only 12 high, unless I’m missing the idea.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Profile-ClearView-Ultra-Quiet-6-100-BTU-115V-Window-Ai r-Conditioner-Cools-250-Sq-Ft-Quiet-and-Easy-to-Install-in-White-AHTT06BC/319294010?s ource=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AfmBOor0ZGco03N0hZpJJN7CbyWvcs2ONlCUIDiWtZevg2 riIOF_1Sw-dow

spencerin
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:13

You're not. But I'm wondering if there's a way to temporarily increase the window opening an extra 2"+ with sash manipulation to be able to squeeze something like that in.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:25

That’s beyond my pay grade, but there must be a way to change a broken window?

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:33

Just the other day I opened the sgl hung in our new cabin. I expected the lower to go up farther than it did. Giving it the quick & dirty eyeball check it appears to have a molded plastic stop on each side of the upper window.
If yours is same/similar perhaps you can trim the stops to get more opening?

ICC
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 00:34

Are the sashes easily removable? And if they are removable can they be removed at any height or only at a specific position/height? If only removable at a certain height perhaps it is sufficient to allow a saddle type A/C to be fitted before replacing the lower sash.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 09:40

If there tilt windows they can be removed. You may need to tip them down 90* then pull one hinged corner up/down.

We removed every lower sash on my 72x36in windows when we put them in

spencerin
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 14:51

Brettny, that's exactly what I was wondering could be done. gcrank1, mine have those stops, too, I'll check to see if I can adjust or remove them. Thanks for suggestions!

spencerin
# Posted: 23 Jun 2024 14:58

Of course, only now did I find YouTube videos showing how to remove the lower sash.....

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Jun 2024 12:31

I would try removing the upper stops first. Just be careful moving the window up that far.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.