Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Water vs power
strail69
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 23:15

We recently bought property and want to put a small cabin on it,. Which should we do first? Dig a well or power source?

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 23:40

Do you have codes to comply with?
Imo
Well comes before locating septic system
Both those may determine your cabin placement
Grid elec to cabin after you know where it sits

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 00:39

Some places wont give you a cabin permit if you have a well on the property, exception would be a full septic system in place. Well needs to be 100 feet from anything. Nothing can be done 100 feet around well.

Septic, look at grade, gravity system is ideal, no pump if your jurisdiction allows it.

I did well first, so much fighting over water rights etc.

Just brought in power last fall.

frankpaige
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 02:06

The power company made that choice easy! $32,000! Nope!
Are you near power? What would be more important to you and yours? How often are you using it? How many people? Would it be more economical to store water than drill?
Can you use solar for your needs instead of hooking to the grid?
Exciting times my friend. I loved the journey.
Enjoy

Curly
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 02:56

Three years ago I had my water well guy replace the pump on my well. He had just come from a job where he was trying to drill a good water well for a family that was nearly done building a $400,000 house in a rural area. That family had waited to drill until the house was nearly complete. The driller had drilled several holes on that property without finding water. It looks like that family might be hauling a lot of water for a long time. Tough luck for them.

The well driller said to always drill before investing too much in a property (of course a driller would say that, but he had a good reason). He also recommended that before buying a property without a well, talk to neighbors about their wells, or the local driller or the local government about wells in the area.

Fortunately for me, my place had a good well when I bought it. Later I found out that properties on this side of the road had good wells, but properties on the other side of the road have wells with very low water output. I got lucky.

I hope your project is successful. Please update us on your progress.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 03:35 - Edited by: gcrank1

Fwiw
We have been 'small cabining off grid' since 1984 in two different locations. I can tell you for sure and certain that it is a lot easier now than then!
Our current is a property we bought in 2020. The electric needs are much less than at home, modest we call it. A small (1700/2000peak) inverter generator for big draw stuff like power tools and microwave. Low draw like lighting (use Only led lights!), usb and tool chargers, even my 600w toaster are off a 12v 100ah lfp battery and a small psw inverter to 120vac.
The 'utility water' is a rain barrel collection off the metal roof, potable water we haul in.
The 'facility' is outside, a diy composting 'T'.
No plumbing inside at all.
Heating for us is LP furnace (was exclusively wood at the 30+ year former cabin).
We are not 'full timers', it is a 12.5x28, 3 season recreational place for us and the living isn't a hardship there at all.
If that kind of cabin life sounds suitable to you it is Far easier to accomplish than what your initial post implies.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.