Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Loft flooring
WILL1E
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 17:50

Hey ya'll!! Hope everyone is doing well!

Question. My loft is 16x10 and has a small 3x3ish landing next to it that the stairs meet up with. I've been leaning pretty heavily towards doing carpet squares up there because it would be easily to replace if there was an accident and I can loose lay install them myself without any special equipment. The downside is the ~$400 price tag to do that small area.

Is there a more economical option aside from using regular carpet and having to do tack strips and stretching?

The first floor will be LVP throughout. I want carpet in the loft for warm since it's a sleeping area only, and it will give some sound deadening to the rooms below for when people drop things or move around up there.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 18:19

Area rugs as needed?

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 18:39

I am always shocked by the price of carpet; ie, something with NO moving parts is how much!
Go to the carpet store and ask to look at cut-offs/remnants.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 19:02

Quoting: gcrank1
Go to the carpet store and ask to look at cut-offs/remnants.

I've never done this, but I remember my father used to get remnants and asked to have the binding put on the edges. I guess carpet stores can bind the edges to they don't fray.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 20:21

We did the cheap interlocking foam tiles- they’re like 18 x 18 or something similar.Not exactly a high end luxury flooring but it actually is pretty nice for that small space in the loft. Plus with ours, the loft is the kids area so the padded floor works really well.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Jun 2024 21:01

Those also work Great in the bed of a pickup or van, really anyplace you need to kneel on.
Not bad for hard chair or bench seating either.

travellerw
# Posted: 18 Jun 2024 16:21 - Edited by: travellerw

I did industrial carpet squares. I watched Facebook marketplace and Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). I think I paid $1/sqft for brand new squares. Its pretty common for someone to overspec a job and end up with extra and they want to just recoup some money.

$1/sqft is pretty cheap for brand new, but I waited like 8 months for that deal. I could have bought "new tearout" squares for $1/sqft anytime I wanted. Its also not uncommon for squares to be installed but then the owner doesn't like them (or they don't match, or whatever) and they tear them back out. I wasn't in a hurry, so I just waited for new.

Might be an option if you are willing to search and wait for the deal/color you want.

(The upside is industrial carpet will probably outlast your kids lifetimes in a low use area like your loft).

paulz
# Posted: 20 Jun 2024 01:37

I have a throw rug in my loft. Weighs nothing. Never slept on it though. could put a pad under it I guess. Leftover freebie from somewhere..
547.jpeg
547.jpeg

jsahara24
# Posted: 20 Jun 2024 17:43 - Edited by: jsahara24

We have a loft above the downstairs bedrooms for guests..... My complaint has always been how loud it is in the bedrooms when someone (especially dogs) walks upstairs.....I even installed insulation in the ceiling but that seems to make no difference, probably should have used a different type of insulation.....

regardless, I was thinking we should have installed carpet with heavy padding to cut down on the noise....

ICC
# Posted: 20 Jun 2024 19:16

I think any soft flooring, like carpet, rugs, rubber mats, will cut down on the foot traffic sounds better than insulation as the soft flooring will eliminate the hard footwear or dog nails from impacting the hard floor surface.

Towler86
# Posted: 27 Jun 2024 13:28

For a more budget-friendly alternative, I recommend looking into self-adhesive carpet tiles. They're usually cheaper than the commercial-grade ones and easy to install by yourself. They can also be replaced individually if there’s an accident.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.