Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Our New Cabin is Done
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
paulz
# Posted: 2 May 2024 08:51

jsahara24
# Posted: 2 May 2024 09:07

Great to hear.....Now that you have it set we need you to spend the time to post the pictures!!!

paulz
# Posted: 3 May 2024 14:00

Photo
IMG_2574.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 May 2024 17:16

Yay!

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 May 2024 20:43

We spent much of the day sorting stuff and moving furniture. In spite of my best efforts with a scale drawing and furniture cut-outs my wife had her own ideas (go figure, lol).
In addition to that I rigged several of my self contained led lighting, got the sgl burner lp camp stove in place and took more sit time than usual!
The place is actually livable now
Now I need to re-set the two 12' decks, build a good set of steps, wire in an rv socket to connect the gen, plumb for LP, install the rain barrel for utility water and see if I can make the old well productive.
Wont be bored and wont be trying to chase red pine squirrels out anymore.....and can take a break or even a nap when I want to.

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 May 2024 21:35

Had our 1st overnighter and cooked meals
Dominoes were the game of the evening.
Up at 6:30 to the sound of NO traffic. Had a Raven show up early to the birdbath.
Got to see 3 deer last night from the great viewing windows, but no Northern Lights visible.
And after b-fast today we had a big Red Fox pass the window end maybe 50' away, didn't seem to be bothered by the new cabin look at all. The Cottontail Rabbits are in for a tough time

ICC
# Posted: 13 May 2024 22:07

Quoting: gcrank1
Had our 1st overnighter and cooked meals

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2024 13:37

First day after unload
20240501_122745.jpeg
20240501_122745.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2024 13:44

Old 16x 24 shack
1789371539.jpeg
1789371539.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2024 13:46

First day just starting to 'move in'
20240501_140957.jpeg
20240501_140957.jpeg

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 May 2024 14:46

wow that's super nice.

jsahara24
# Posted: 29 May 2024 14:50

Very nice!!! Hell of an upgrade...

paulz
# Posted: 29 May 2024 15:27 - Edited by: paulz

The old shack looks better than my cabin, too bad you couldn’t move it!

New place is beautiful. Better straighten that one far side front block. Then get back in that chair.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2024 15:59

Well Paul, it did kinda get moved....Maylon and fam have almost all of it in their barn, but they didn't number anything for a rebuild (lol).
One of his grade school boys said,"wow, we could build a cabin" , Ya gotta love the innocence of youth.
We are still hauling away the demo pile (2x as large as I thought), it's kinda like a Big game of Pick-Up-Sticks, and yeah, the pressure is off so Im doing more puttering and kicking back.
More current pics forthcoming

ICC
# Posted: 29 May 2024 20:38

That looks wonderful! Thanks for posting that!

Curly
# Posted: 29 May 2024 20:50

I love it when a plan comes together. Congratulations and nice job!

Nobadays
# Posted: 30 May 2024 00:04

Nice!! You guys are going to truly enjoy your new place! Thanks for the pictures!

paulz
# Posted: 30 May 2024 15:40

Quoting: gcrank1
Now I need to re-set the two 12' decks, build a good set of steps, wire in an rv socket to connect the gen, plumb for LP, install the rain barrel for utility water and see if I can make the old well productive.

Breaks over! Hot weather’s coming, had to get out of the sun mid day yesterday.

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Jun 2024 11:51

Very nice looking place. Glad it worked out for you

paulz
# Posted: 2 Jun 2024 14:33

Been awhile, still hooking up the genny for internet?

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Jun 2024 18:56 - Edited by: gcrank1

We just use the cell-phones for whatever comm we 'need', never had any i-net more than that.
With the original inherited solar system I learned a lot and modded it 3, maybe 4 times, but last year I never re-installed it at all. Getting the 2x 100ah lfp bats to swap out was a game changer!
Our 120vac was all off a 300w psw inverter to power all our led lights, old tv/vcr combo, and tool or phone chargers and whatever. Then I found out my 750w msw inverter would run my 600w toaster; wha-hoo, easy toast whenever.
The times we would run the Champion 1700ish/2000 inv-gen were for the microwave, old corded power tools, etc (high loads). It didn't get run much.
All that got pulled out of the old shack pre demo and plan is to redo some.
I have to set an rv type inlet box on the west wall to plug the gen into (not quite as easy as the old shack board walls) to get power inside. Initially it will just be a pigtail that I can plug a multi-strip into; eventually there will be some Romex to outlets.
For now, since the delivery 5-1, we have been happily running the rechargeable led lights and one lfp bat inside hooked to whichever inverter we need.
Too Easy! Why did I make it so complicated before?
Btw, the bat lasts us easily weeks with our level of 'recreational' use and the swap to the other one is quick and easy, then home to recharge whenever (no rush with lfp).

paulz
# Posted: 3 Jun 2024 16:08

No fridge?

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Jun 2024 17:03 - Edited by: gcrank1

Nope
Have an old 120vac/12vdc absorption unit like a chest fridge; its pretty amps hungry.
A smallish (4.5ish cf?) Heier 120vac only, inverter required.
Either small fridge would be not running when gone so it would have to run for some hours even stuffed with really cold food/ice bottles to get to fridge temp. After some testing a few years ago either was using up a 100ah battery in a day so I would have to be setting up the whole solar thing and using both bats for a 200ah bank.
So we use a Yeti clone ice box with my re-froze at home ice bottles and have gone for 4 days and still had ice left. I zone pack the ice box so we have a decent little 'freezer' section.
Primitive, I know, but works for us
Btw, the ratio of ice to food is 2:1 and any frozen food counts toward that 2x ice.
Air inside is your enemy. We often fold up a bath towel to fit snug on the top as the contents are depleted.

paulz
# Posted: 3 Jun 2024 17:56

Sounds Ok to me. I have a small RV 12v compressor unit. Been outside the front door all year, colder there than inside but that will soon change. Not too bad but still the biggest semi constant draw. Gets filled and emptied every time we come and go, powered off naturally.

We always return to the grid house once a week, so a Yeti thing would probably do the job. Maybe when this one dies..

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Jun 2024 13:35

Kind of a Yeti 'clone', Lifetime brand?, got mine at Walmart for waayyy cheaper. Think mine is the middle size and manageable by me, the big one looked like a 2 people carry. It is deceptive when looking at them, gotta remember you need room for Lot of ice (bottles).

paulz
# Posted: 4 Jun 2024 14:10

Here’s my fridge, and the ice chest I drag back and forth. On top of the fridge in the photo are a couple of ice pack thingies out of the grid freezes at the house I threw into the chest yesterday for a test. Lately I’ve been filling the fridge with the good stuff and leaving the potatoes etc in the chest. Still cool in there this morning but going to be a hot one today.

Fridge is set to 4 Celsius. About time to stop the night wood stove so may move it back inside soon.
IMG_2736.jpeg
IMG_2736.jpeg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.